Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard problem?

• Please log in to reply

hullabaloo2

hullabaloo2

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here's the deal; about once a week my parents computer (while on, with the screen saver running) will lose signal to the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The lights on the tower still come on, and I can open and close the optical drive. When I unplug the power cord to let the PSU drain the computer comes on correctly after I plug it back in. The fan kicks on hard for a second and everything is normal after that.

I figure that it has to be either the PSU or the Motherboard. I'm leaning toward motherboard, but can anyone help me narrow this down before I spend my parents money!

edit: The case fan is plugged into the MoBo if that makes a difference to anyone.

Thanks,
Wes

Edited by hullabaloo2, 16 February 2008 - 08:20 PM.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Which OS?

hullabaloo2

hullabaloo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
win xp sp2

hp pavilion model no. hp-a1419h

nothing upgraded or messed with. It hasn't been moved, kicked, dropped, or anything like that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system crashing..hanging...BSOD.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...

lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

NOTE...if you have any problems running memtest... Windows Memory Diagnostic may run the tests....you can get it here..

Edited by happyrck, 17 February 2008 - 07:59 AM.

hullabaloo2

hullabaloo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
There were no errors with the memtest

Here is the info. from everest:

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type SMSC DME1737 (SMBus 2Eh)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 39 °C (102 °F)
CPU 38 °C (100 °F)