Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rouge Installation

• Please log in to reply

luker38

luker38

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am having a problem installing Windows Defender. The program downloads just fine, but when it tried to install I get a message that says "Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceding with this install".I have no idea what could possibly be installing on this computer, nothing else should be. This isn't my computer, it belongs to my sister and she says this has been going on for a long time. I also get the same message when I try and remove some Symantec programs via add/remove programs in the control panel. I had her install AVG Free Edition awhile back and told her to get rid of all the Symantec stuff, but apparently she couldn't. She also told me she got the message with Java Update. She's notorius for downloading questionable programs that may contain malware or other undesirable crap so that may be what's causing this problem. I just can't find it. You guys would know better than I, so I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks...

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
:) Please do not follow ANY type of Malware advice from someone who has not completed training, and is not a full Staff member. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of their directions at this point... and they know better than to try and give advice like this.

Edited by Kat, 16 February 2008 - 10:11 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello luker38...

Let's see if we can figure out what's trying to install and stop it.

Right click on the Taskbar and choose "Task Manager". Under the "Applications" tab, list for me what is shown as "Running".

Then, with nothing else open, click on the "Processes" tab and let me know what processes are using the most memory.

wannabe1

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I actually figured out what the program was and got rid of it. It was a Norton program and I used the Norton removal tool to get rid of what was left of that. I do, however, have another problem that I imagine you can help me with. I need to know how to get rid of the remnants of the Morpheus Toolbar program. I ran the HiJackThis program and got rid of everything I knew for certain had to do with Morpheus but it still shows up in the add/remove programs utility in the control panel, but I can't remove it using that utility. I'll run another HiJackThis log and attach it to this reply. Thank You very much for your help!!!

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're going to have to let the Malware Experts help you with the rest of this. Looks like more than just Morpheus in the log.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.