Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply problem

• Please log in to reply

Ysa

Ysa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Wasn't too sure where I should put it.

Anyhow, I recently got a Sony Vaio NR Notebook. Around uh, Monday, I think. So not too long ago. I was playing WoW on it today, and I noticed the battery meter was running low while it was plugged into the AC. I haven't had any problems besides this.

Earlier today when I was moving my futon. the frame pushed the plug on the AC adapter, and bent one of the prongs slightly. It wasn't a severe bend, maybe 30-40 degrees. I ended up just straightening it out. But now no power is going to my PC. I managed to get it to boot and get to the login screen, but I figure that was just the last of the battery going.

I'm guessing maybe a connection came lost in the AC plug. But I don't see how it could happen from such a small bend, especially with flexible wire. I've bent plugs before, and this has never happened.

Anyhow, any help would be very much appreciated. I'm gonna cry if this is something big. >: Was so happy to finally get a new PC.

Edit: I've searched around google, and no solid answers came up. Mainly motherboard problems on PCs that were several years old.

Edited by Ysa, 16 February 2008 - 09:22 PM.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I doubt that there is anything wrong with your new computer.

Is this the prong you bent?

Capture.JPG

Did you try a different outlet in your home?

I can't imagine anything got hurt with your ac adapter either. I suppose the wire on the back of the prong could have separated but I find that unlikely too. You can get a new cord for the adapter though, they aren't expensive.

Edited by PsychPosse, 16 February 2008 - 09:36 PM.

Ysa

Ysa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mine is only a 2 prong. It doesn't have the third ground prong. I've also tried several outlets as well.

One thing I found strange is this doesn't have the larger prong. They're both equal size, which I found weird. I haven't seen those in years.

Ysa

Ysa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, well I fixed it. When I looked at the AC cord, I noticed it was the same as my PS2 cord, minus the shape. So with a bit of help with a pair of nailclippers, and a file, I managed to get the shape down. Working fine now. :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Ok.. good..

You can still pick up a power cord for reasonably cheap.