Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost use of my control panel

• Please log in to reply

PegasusZoe

PegasusZoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) Hello, I'm new and I hope someone can help me.
A couple days ago system defender got onto my puter, it was in my task bar with the constant message about spyware and that this was a windows alert and that i should download which I never did. I went out and bought AVG and finally got it off my task bar, but before that was accomplished I tried to go in through control panel to see if it was actually on my puter and it errored me with "RESTRICTION - This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." Now it no longer shows on my start menu, and if i try to go through set program access it tells me the same error, how can I get my control panel back?

Thank You!

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
first, I can't understand you clearly .... maybe of my poor English if what I got right then :

as you said.... you got infected sometime... so it's obvious the malware is behind this
I think you should make sure you are free of that malware by going to Hijackthis forum .......

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

if you are sure that you are free.....then try one of these :

1-go to start ==> run ==> type "gpedit.msc" without quotes then search for value about "disable control panel" or some thing like .... (I can't remember exactly where you can find it) when you find it, just make it disable

2-searching in "regedit" for value like "disablecontrol.." or like then delete it (make backup for safety)

3- click on computer icon right click and choose manager then "local users and groups" ==> users ==> click on your username and look what the group it belongs to ....and make sure it's administartor

4- make a new administration account instead of that (sometimes this doesn't work)

5- backup your system to good point (sometimes this causes infection again)

more than I don't know ...hope this help

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
PegasusZoe,

The symptoms you describe were caused by the infection. I think it's not fully off your PC. Please follow the link Superior gave you and post a hijackthis log in the malware removal forum.

PegasusZoe

PegasusZoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes I know that the virus caused the problem, and AVG took care of the virus, I thought I was clear on that but i guess not. Was just wanting to know how to get the control panel back from being restricted. Thanks for trying to help.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
This is something that I see all of the time.
AVG may have taken care of a virus, but not the whole problem.
You are most likely still infected.
Please follow the advice and go to the malware forum.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
this virus restricts your control panel. AVG is not sufficient, with this particular virus, to thoroughly clean it - it requires additional tools to fully remove it. Since your issue is a direct result of the virus, you have to post in the malware form for help - no malware advice will be given outside of that forum.