Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antispyware won't run

• Please log in to reply

Maximilienne

Maximilienne

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer keeps opening a balloon to tell me that it is infected with spyware and asking me to click in the balloon to get a program to fix the problem. When I click the balloon (which appears in the lower right-hand part of the screen), nothing happens.

I had Ad-Aware SE, and it would not update its virus definitions, and can't find anything.
I had AVGAntispyware, ant it will not open.

I downloaded SUPERAntispyware, and it will not open or run.
I downloaded CyberDefender, and it ran, and found spyware cookies, so I bought the program to remove the spyware, and removed all of the spyware that the program found, but my computer still says it is infected.

Please help!

Thanks,
Max

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my list of programs below). Take all the preliminary steps. After the experts from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean, and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It might take some time because they are quite busy there.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Ocassionally, spyware will tend to stay on people's computers even when it seems it has been removed. Some possiblities that may be of secure methods would be to:

Download AVG Anti-Virus
Download Spybot Search and Destroy 1.5
Download Windows Defender

If none of these applications work correctly and you are still seeing signs of Spyware on your computer you may want to see where - if it tells you or if any Anti-Spyware programs tell you - it is located. If it is the C:/Windows or C:/System32 Folders it could highly effect the operation of the computer. With which you may want to attempt and find a registry fixer. Some virus' even go to the extent of disabling firewalls and allowing certain ports to open to allow the attacker the option of further disrupting the operation of the computer.

If even further none of this works, you may try to wait a few days and see if there is a delay effect on the boot.ini file which controls the boot, because commonly virus' of this sort will intend on doing such for the soul purpose of destroying the system. You may as well email me here.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please follow The Skeptic's advice and post in the malware forum. Don't try to handle this on your own without guidance from an expert.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As a side note, Adaware SE will not update its definition files. It will give an error retrieving the file.

Adaware SE is no longer a valid/ up to date program since the release of Adaware 2007.
You must use adaware 2007

kallyi

kallyi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

My computer keeps opening a balloon to tell me that it is infected with spyware and asking me to click in the balloon to get a program to fix the problem. When I click the balloon (which appears in the lower right-hand part of the screen), nothing happens.

I had Ad-Aware SE, and it would not update its virus definitions, and can't find anything.
I had AVGAntispyware, ant it will not open.

I downloaded SUPERAntispyware, and it will not open or run.
I downloaded CyberDefender, and it ran, and found spyware cookies, so I bought the program to remove the spyware, and removed all of the spyware that the program found, but my computer still says it is infected.

Please help!

Thanks,
Max

I have the same problem, none of my antispayware will start. The Malaware Forum does not help, since nothing will run, including HijackThis. What do I do now?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You post in the malware forum and wait for them to help. Nothing we can do here.