Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network setup questions

• Please log in to reply

cubbie1

cubbie1

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have a HP G85xi printer attached to my desktop PC. Since its older, it doesnt have USB. It still works good but I'd love to be able to print to it from wireless laptops in home I have connect via Linksys router. Can i do this or is this printer too old to share?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It can theoretically be done by sharing it on one computer then setting up a new network printer connection on the other computers. Note that this usually only gives you access to the printer and not, in this printer's case, the scanner or the copier.

cubbie1

cubbie1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have changed the printer to shared on the computer connected to it now. What do I have to do to the laptop to get it to work? I setup a new printer on the laptop but it seems to want to print to LPT1 as if the printer is hooked up to the laptop and it stays in the queue. Thanks for your help if we can get this to work.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Sorry to hijack this thread Neil, but I figured this would help.

These are the instructions on how to setup print sharing on Windows XP, it should be very similar to 2000: http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=598524

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 18 February 2008 - 12:20 PM.