Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winodws xp start-up trouble

• Please log in to reply

ty_warman

ty_warman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I am having alot of problems with my computer. At first it was working fine, then my monitor seemed to have been messed up. Colours would appear and my screen would scramble, which would require a re-boot. After the re-boot, everything was fine. After a day or so, when I would start the computer, the screen would go blank when XP would start. At this point I went into safe mode, and did a virus scan with anti-vir. For a couple of days I was able to use the computer, but only in safe mode. Now when I turn my computer, I get a long beep and the computer does not continue to start up. If you have any suggestions, or you can help diagnose the problem, any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi ty_warman, welcome.

What is the make and model of your computer? The beep code meanings differ between systems.

1 long beep almost always indicates a memory problem though. If you have two sticks of memory (RAM) in your computer, you can try removing one and see if it will boot. If not, swap with the other and try again.

Be careful when doing this. Make sure you touch some bare metal to discharge any static buildup before doing anything inside the computer. Also, make sure the power if off!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could be a faulty video card. Please try what ztruker suggested. If that doesn't work:

1: Make sure that the cable that connects the computer to the the monitor is well secured at both ends.

2: Switch off the computer and remove the video card (only possible if it's an add-on card). Look if there is another, on-board video connection. If there is, connect the monitor and boot-up.

3: If the computer has just one, on-board card, then try to get an add-on card (even a very old pci card will do), insert it into the computer and reboot. If the computer works then the problem is with the video card.

I am not sure about the terminology. By on-board I mean a video card that is part of the motherboard. By add-on I mean any video card that is not integrated into the motherboard.

ty_warman

ty_warman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Rich, I really appreciate your response. I currently a have Compaq Presario SR1500NX. I bought it well over a year ago. After buying the computer, I added a stick of 512mB RAM. This is the first problem that I have had with the computer.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try what I said, see if it makes any difference. If you have only a single 512MB stick, do you still have the old one? Id so put it back and see what happens.

ty_warman

ty_warman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i kept the the original memory stick and I have replaced the video, another thing that I did when I first got the computer. I will try the things that you guys have suggested and will update you on if it works. Thank You all again

ty_warman

ty_warman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have tried all of the recomended things, ive tried alternating memory sticks, as well as taking out my add-on video and trying the buit-in. When I try each of the solutions, either on their own or in combinations, I am still getting the long beep, which will repeat if i allow it to continue. I am in desperate need of my computer, and hopefully any one can help me out.

Thank You

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you still boot into safe mode at all...
lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

ty_warman

ty_warman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am unable to boot at all......as soon as I push the power button, I get a long beep and the computer no longer tries to boot in any way. The screen goes blank and i cannot get any information on the screen

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Ty, I checked the HP website and your computer uses an Award BIOS. According to there beep code list:

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

So it still sounds like you have a memory problem.

Do you have any other memory (the old ones you replaced) you can try? Perhaps both the new ones are defective (unlikely but you never know)?

Advertisements

ty_warman

ty_warman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have tried to use solely the memory that came with the computer, and just the new 512 stick that i purchased over a year ago. Both of these scenarios have produced the same beeps, with the same results.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ty_warman...

Has this machine ever been overclocked?

Since it appears you are ok about being inside the machine, let's try resetting the CMOS...I've seen bad BIOS settings cause this issue. To do this, you need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

wannabe1

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is it a long, continuous beep (never ending) or just a long beep. If the latter, how long does the beep last?

ty_warman

ty_warman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It is a beep that goes for a couple of seconds and repeats itself after about 10-15 seconds. I am willing to try the suggestions that wannabe1 left, I would just kinda like to know the consequence if i screw it up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That will reset all the BIOS default settings...memory timings, date and time, etc. It it allows you to get back into Windows, all you should have to do is change such things as date, time, and boot priority.