Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot ini or hal.dll?

• Please log in to reply

xxjojoxx

xxjojoxx

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
RUNNING XP PRO---

Hello all.. (great site by the way).. anyhow.. here is my problem.. I ran combofix.exe (because i'm trying to get rid of a malware problem) and once my system went to reboot, I was encountered with an error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

But right before this screen I can see a command saying Invalid boot.ini. (but it quickly changes to the hal.dll problem)..

I've tried to run recovery console & when I'm asked to select which windows installation I would like to log onto.. I only have the following options:

1: c:\MiniNT
2: c:\I386

I tried selecting both choices & both times i ran the command :
bootcfg \list

The return message said no boot record found.
I would greatly appreciate any help from here! Thank you in advance
:)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Welcome to the club. Just the other day I ran this awful combofix (trying the software, like I do with many others) and ended up reformatting my computer. Anyway, hal.dll is one of the worst problems. Please try the following options which I compiled from some sources. Good luck.

How to rebuild BOOT.INI file. Also repair missing or corrupt windows\system32\hal.dll.

option 1:
In recovery console run chkdsk /r

Option 2:
In Recovery Console type bootcfg /rebuild.
Press Y for the correct OS to be repaired.
Identifier: type the correct OS. E.g Microsoft windows xp professional.
OS load options type /fastdetect.
Type exit.

Option3:
How to fix error message hal.dll is missing or cannot be found. (Adapted from Shaun Gray, Kelly's Korner).
Remove hard drive from system.Add Hard drive to a 2nd WORKING XP PRO System a s Slave on Cable select.
Note: all references to “D:\” are the Slave Hard drive damaged windows.
Boot system and enable Explorer > tools > folder options > view. Check Show Hidden Files and Folders. UN-check Hide Protected OS Files.
A working copy of hal.dll will be found in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Copy that file and paste it to “D:\WINDOWS\System32” folder; if it asks to overwrite say YES.
You may now un-do the changes made to Explorer > tools > folder options to re-Hide files.
Shut Down the computer.
Remove the 2nd Drive and reinstall it to its own tower as Master. Bootup. If prompted to reinstall some drivers, Just say YES and let it auto detect.
This "FIX" assumes that the computer in question HAS at ther very least service pack1, if not service pack 2.

Edited by The Skeptic, 17 February 2008 - 02:43 PM.

xxjojoxx

xxjojoxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the reply!
My selections from recovery are :
1: c:\MiniNT
2: c:\I386

Well I ran a bootcfg /scan on both choices and the result was:

Error: failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrut file system, which could prevent bootcfg from scanning.Use chkdsk to detact any errors. (which i did and says the volume is in good cond.)

Edited by xxjojoxx, 17 February 2008 - 02:54 PM.

xxjojoxx

xxjojoxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just booted the drive as a slave and I see no windows directory! I don't think this is a good sign :)

This is what it looks like..

untitled.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One last shot. From a command prompt, run chkdsk x: /r while it's mounted as a slave (x: is the drive letter assigned to it). This will take a while to run but does a more thorough check of the drive that /f does.

xxjojoxx

xxjojoxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I ran the chkdsk x: /r and it says there windows checked the file system and found no problems.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have Show hidden files" setup in Folder Options?

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)