Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Boot up + Random Pop Ups = Madcat! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Madcat

Madcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ran the cleanup routines and changed over Mcafee for AVG. For whatever reason the system still boots up incredibly slow and takes about 6-8 minutes to get up to speed. But there are no random pop ups in the start bar!! :)

When I turn on my computer the initial "Windows is starting up" box take a full 1 minute to cycle to the desktop and then approx 6-7 mins from there until my IE is operating at normal speed? Anything else you can think of that could be the cause?

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hmmm could be hard drive related.

Let's try this.

Go to Start run type in Cmd then hit ok.
In the black box that apeears type in this >chkdsk /f /r type in Y at the prompt and then reboot your computer.
Let checkdisk run and let me know if that helps at all.
This will take a while let it complete.

Madcat

Madcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I ran chkdsk and in the Verifying File Data (stage 4of5) windows replaced bad clusters in file 2560 of file /windows/system32/config/sysevent.evt

My computer is now running perfectly!!!! No bugs and no slow boot!! Kahdah, you dah man! Really nice work.

Thanks a million,

Madcat :)

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Great news :)

You are welcome :)

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.