Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD problem

• Please log in to reply

MustNotSleep

MustNotSleep

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Here's my problem. I have a Western Digital 160gb hard drive with loads of mp3s, and picture files on it. Recently I brought it with me out of state to visit a friend and share some photos. When I arrived I connected the hard drive to my friends laptop, everything worked fine, I was able to view all of my files no problem. After a few hours, I tried to connect it again, and the hard drive would not power up. When I would try hit the power button the blue light would just flicker. It has been a few weeks since my trip, and just for giggles, this morning I tried to power it up again. This time it powered up, the light stays on, but I am unable to access the drive from my pc. It seems as if my pc wont even acknowledge that it is connected. My questions are, Is my HDD ruined? Is there any way to recover my files? Is there a way to maybe take the drive itself out of the external case, and possibly install it inside my pc? Any help is greatly appreciated. These files are very important to me, I would hate to lose them for good. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It could be that the drive is bad.... you could try downloading the troubleshooting software from western digital and see if it can find the problem. As far as recovery... you could try GetDataBack for your file system and see if it can recover something... I've heard of some free data recovery programs but I already have a license for getdataback so have not tried any. The other option would be a professional data recovery but you are looking at hundereds to thousands of dollars...

Good Luck...

MustNotSleep

MustNotSleep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your help, shard. Will the troubleshooting software be able to help even if the drive is not recognized by my computer?