Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are you supposed to change your email after you get really bad viruses

• Please log in to reply

BeautyCochran

BeautyCochran

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Geek Gang!!
Well after using the BIG Three as recommended by Jason Parker at CNET, I found what we have suspected since we bought this computer and we were told by HP and Comcast both "welllllll, sometimes employees mess with the computers before they go in the box to be finished up and sent to the Retailer." The Big Three found muchas spywares that come with the computer system in the Online Services Folder and it found 2 biggie Trojans down in my E drive (Recovery) so that every time I reinstalled Windows Xp or did a destructive recovery I just reinstalled those evildoer trojans as well. So they are sending a whole new system thru snailmail and I will first destroy everything on the computher which will wipe all data and viruses etc.
SO, my big question with that in mind, DO I Change my email address? I thought I read that you do that but with the total destructive recovery done with the new CD's the HP Techie said I don't need to?
Do any you agree with the HP Techie's observations?
Thanks so very much---Beauty
1) Spyware Terminator
2) Antiver Workstation
3) HiJack This
4) Trends Port Scanner

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wouldn't be worried so much about a new email address as to whether the malware on your PC was able to send infected email without you knowing it each you emailed someone. It may have infected other machines, too, if it had this purpose.

Might let people you know to run what scans they need to to find and remove the malware. Or visit the malware forum here.

Ron

BeautyCochran

BeautyCochran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Wouldn't be worried so much about a new email address as to whether the malware on your PC was able to send infected email without you knowing it each you emailed someone. It may have infected other machines, too, if it had this purpose.

Might let people you know to run what scans they need to to find and remove the malware. Or visit the malware forum here.

Ron

How embarassing! But yes Abuse @Comcast told me that my port had been spamming folks unbeknownst to me, however I don't believe it was much because my family member swould have been screaming about it! LOL Thank U! Let me know what you think!!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Welcome to Geekstogo, Beauty!
I think that you will feel more confident about the Internet and your computer with some education. Knowledge is power, and you also want to be a responsible online user who is NOT infecting your family and friends' computers. You can learn quite a bit here on this forum, especially if you take the time to read and ask questions about what you don't understand. I am a bit puzzled why you think it is plausible that employees have the inclination or time to muck up a computer they are preparing to ship to a paying customer. I would expect that to backfire on them, wouldn't you? If no one wants to buy computers from them for fear of tampering, they will lose sales. If the Comcast tech told you that changing your email address (the string of letters that email uses to find you), why would you doubt him? An email address is benign, but malware on a connected computer is not. Malware can be quickly dealt with by a clean install, and quite frankly, I find it rather unusual that malware would be included on your recovery media from the factory. Is there more to this than you have related already that might be giving you cause for concern? We'll be glad to help you if you have specific questions, but you need to tell us the whole story so that we can give you the best help.
Johanna