Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

booting up problem

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I just got a 80gb Seagate SATA harddrive off a friend. I just put it in my computer (going to put my 200gb IDE in a computer I built for a friend). I formatted the drive in Windows (booted off the 200gb) and then turned my computer off.

I opened up my PC and took out the IDE drive (cleaned up the mess of wires, too!). When I booted up again with a DOS boot cd in, I got this message.

CD-ROM Device Driver for IDE (Four Channels Supported)
©Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1993-1996
Driver Version : V340
Device Name : BANANA
No Drives Found, aborting installation

Device driver not found: 'BANANA'.
No valid CDROM device drivers selected
A:\>

I tried a Windows 98SE boot/install CD after this and got this message

Device driver not found: 'OEMCD001'.
No valid CDROM device drivers selected

A:\>

I need to be able to boot off of a cd, and then access the drive it just booted from. I made a thread about this a while ago, but have since changed hardware.

My hardware setup is now:

3.4GHz pentium D
abit IP35-PRO mobo
2x1gb Corsair DDR2 800MHz dual channel memory
XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition video card
Corsair HX-620w PSU
80gb Seagate barracuda SATA hdd
Pioneer SATA dvd

The dvd and hdd are both recognised in the BIOS, and it is reading off the dvd (I'd been using it for about 2 weeks on my old 200gb), plus it's booting off of it. Once I boot up though, if I type "d:" It won't access the dvd (i'm sure the dvd is the d:).

I'm GUESSING this is the cd's i'm trying to boot from. What should I do? Can you direct me to a boot cd that will work? Or is this not the problem at all.
I've booted up and installed perfectly fine with these cd's before. It hasn't worked since I got my new video card, mobo and RAM (got them all at the same time). Even on my old Asus IDE dvd.

When I try to start the 98SE setup after booting from the CD, I get the same error as when I just try to startup with CD ROM support, except it has an additional

The Windows 98 Setup files were not found.

A bit of further information - When my computer is starting up, just after the POST screen, it says this.

JMicron Technology Corp. PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller BIOS v1.06.69
Copyright © 2005 JMicron Technology. http:\\www.jmicron.com

Detect drives done, no any drive found.

Does this mean it could be something to do with my BIOS? Will I need to update it? If so, how? I'm very new at all of this updating BIOS stuff.

I am also able to boot off of my Ubuntu 7.10 LiveCD.

Some more info, too. When trying to boot Partition logic, I get a whole heap of errors and it doesn't start up.

Visopsys 0.69
Copyright © 1998-2007 J. Andrew McLaughlin
Starting, one moment please...

Detecting hardware: IDE disk Error::Malloc.c:_doMalloc (539):
Can't allocate 0 bytes (driverDetect)
Error:kernel process:kernelFilesystem.c:kernelFilesystemMount (549):
No such disk "cd0"
Error:kernel process:kernelInitialize.c:kernelInitialize (287):
Mounting root filesystem failed
Error:kernel process:kernelMain.c:kernelMain(76):
Initialization failed. Press any key (or the "reset" button) to reboot.
Error:usb thread:kernelUsbUhciDriver.c:portenable(431):
Couldn't enable port
Error:usb thread:kernelUsbUhciDriver.c:threadCall(1676)
Error enumerating new USB device
Error:usb thread:kernelUsbUhciDriver.c:threadCall(1676)
Error enumerating new USB device

I'm hoping i've provided plenty of information for you. Please help me fix this problem as soon as possible, and have a look at my other thread (link above) if you want more info. I never got replies to it :).

~Seltox

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OAKCDROM.SYS doesn't recognise SATA CD units because it predates them by about 10 years :)

You need to build a new bootdisk using GCDROM.SYS which offers support for SATA Optical drives and is a replacement for OAKCDROM.SYS on systems that don't use PATA CD Units.
You can find GCDROM.SYS here:
http://marktsai0316....om/gcdromfordos

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm fairly certain I had this on my old IDE Asus as well. I'll try using this GCDROM.SYS thing when I get home (at school currently). Would you mind giving me (in decent detail) some instructions for making this boot cd?

I'll also try using one of my old cd drives if I have to.

Thanks for the reply.

~Seltox

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I plugged in an old IDE cd reader and booted off of it using my 98SE install disc. Same error.

I don't think it's to do with the booting cd's i'm using or the drives, I think it might be a BIOS or motherboard issue or something, as it gives this "no drives detected" before it even tries to boot.

I'm going to contact abit tech support.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I plugged in an old IDE cd reader and booted off of it using my 98SE install disc. Same error.

I don't think it's to do with the booting cd's i'm using or the drives, I think it might be a BIOS or motherboard issue or something, as it gives this "no drives detected" before it even tries to boot.

I'm going to contact abit tech support.

Sounds like it's time to go through the BIOS setup and see what is enabled and what isn't.