Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Loading Network Card Drivers

• Please log in to reply

binvin

binvin

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello all,
I got to step 58 in "Home Networking & Printer/File Sharing, What you NEED to know" by SpaceCowboy706 and that it said to post here if I had a "yellow !" and it said to post here, so here it is! Can someone please help me?
thanks for reading!

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
What does it say beside of the yellow !. Also, what model of computer do you have?

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
new problem, is my NETGEAR wireless router supposed to show up my other PC? Because it doesn't...
BTW i have a HP Pavilion 753 n

Edited by binvin, 18 February 2008 - 04:28 PM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
If you have the wireless network setup, yes, it should show up in your list. Unless your wireless adapter is the driver you are missing.

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well the only thing i did was set up the router with the intallation CD. Was there something else i was supposed to before following the steps from space cowboy?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Did you purchase a wireless network card for your PC? Most desktops do not come with a wireless adapter, so you've either not installed the drivers for the wireless adapter or you don't have one.

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
so you mean to say that i need to buy a PCI card?
sorry i'm new to setting up networks.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
If your computer did not come with a wireless adapter, and most desktops do not, and you haven't already purchased a wireless adapter, then yes you would need to purchase one. Of course, only purchase one if you want to access the wireless network. Now the other option is to run a ethernet cable from your router to your computer if it is close enough to the router.

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
which would be better, speed wise?
doesn't using a ethernet cable split the performance if both PCs are on the net simultaneously, or is the other way around?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
You will always have better performance with a wired connection over wireless.

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
gotcha bro! thanks for all the help sir!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Binvin
Sorry - I am not getting email response from the site so I did not know you answered.
Gravity Gripp is correct in what he is saying.
If you want wireless connection then you need a Wireless network card similar to this.
Click on me.
How many computers are you trying to hook up?
As Gravity grip says. Wired is faster then wireless, If you connect 2 computers or more via eathernet
and your network cards run at 100mbps then all the computers will gain access at 100mbps
Wireless will get you about 54mbps if you are lucky. Even a wireless router that is rated to give 108mbps will give you 54mbps at best.
Cheers
Peterm