Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oh OH, installed ubuntu and split the hard drive!

• Please log in to reply

babybash

babybash

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello i took a dive today entering the world of linux and all was well for the first couple of hours!!
I now have a couple probs the biggest one is that windows will now not boot!!! nor will it bbot to last known good config!! i cant even boot from the xp disc to repair windows.
If i try too enter the hard drive via linux it comes up with unable to mount the volume, Although i could acces it before i turned off the pc.
Oh and linux seems to be runnin fine as im using it now!! :)

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I think one of the most important steps to do when starting any linux, is to make sure of two things, and they are that you are fully backed up, and that your have the forum of the distro, since things do go wrong since the specs differ between computers, Ubuntu is not my distro but I will post below the forum link, also even if you could mount the windows drive it will only be readable since windows does not allow one to change its system while running linux(meaning that you could retrieve data but not change it), anyway, me too i found that things are not perfect in dual boot(some games no longer worked under dual boot specs) but I know that I can always go back to windows later while for me know its leaning linux which offers more reward

here is the link then:
http://ubuntuforums.org/

babybash

babybash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeh linux seems to be great so far but ive got a few pics and a couple of music tracks i didnt really want to loose but its my own fault i should have backed them up lol.

Ben_uk

Ben_uk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ubuntu is my distro of choice at the moment but if you're having trouble retrieving data from your disk I would definately recoment trying a different liveCD just in case you can recover it with that. Linux puppy is far the best for that sort of thing in my opinion, incredibly small and not power intensive at all. I had trouble reading a HDD in ubuntu a little while back and it popped up on puppy no probs at all.

If you've installed ubuntu you're probarbly familiar with the liveCD so I'll not explain it as the puppy live CD is the same concept...just a little quicker being so thin.

http://www.puppylinu...ds.php?cat_id=1

Hope this helps

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
total agreement with ben-uk, unbuntu is great, btw if it is the first time then mint linux might a good idea because it is the same gnome but there is only the live CD test(to see if all the drivers are there)before the install itself, meaning there is no after-install that requires non freeware stuff(leaseware) to be allowed in(not sure I think PClinux too is the same idea),