Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Services Disabled

• Please log in to reply

Ira T.

Ira T.

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Have a client with an older IBM desk top running XP SR2. Customer called me after Windstream had abandoned project after client could not get to internet. I came out and found out that most of services had been disabled. Since I can't get to internet can't load any virus protection of spyware stuff. Clients virus protection had expired.

Windstream replaced hardware and I have checked it out with my laptop and it is oK.

Suspect at least malware and maybe virus.

I am a tech myself.

Anybody seen anything on this.

If this is the wrong forum, let me know.

Appreciate your help !

Thanks

Ira White

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please be clear on what the problem is exactly...
In order to help you we need all the pieces of the puzzle...
What are the system components...if you dont know...get everest home here
and it will give you all the info...
did the problem just start or has it been going on for awhile..

Ira T.

Ira T.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This is the hi-jack log

Attached File  hjt.txt   13.16KB   359 downloads

Ira T.

Ira T.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Happrck,

I'm a tech services guy myself. Got a lot of the problems solved. If you get a chance look at the hijack this and give me your thoughts on what has to go. By the way, are there any tools we can use to indentify the BHO's.

Thanks and appreciate your help !

Ira White

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I can't advise you on the log..
get BHOdemon here...it protects you from unknown Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), by letting you enable/disable them individually. BHODemon is free, runs in the tray area, and works on Windows 95 or later operating systems....

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you suspect malware, you need to post in the malware forum, not here. Also, the HJT log you posted is incomplete as it doesn't have the HJT header info.

Read through this area: Cleanup Your System.

This takes care of the many of the problems without further action by the Malware Gurus on this site.

If this doesn't do it, post a HijackThis log here: Malware Removal Forum.

Make sure you read the You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log article before posting.

Please be patient, this is a very active anti-malware site and the malware removal experts are extremely busy. It can take 1 to 3 days for them to get to you.

Ira T.

Ira T.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The secondary problem was that iexplorer was running 98% in task manager. After removal spyware Etc. I believe the problem with IE7 was Yahoo toolbar and it's associated modules, Yahoo companion, etc. I also had MY Search spyware invading IE7. After getting rid of these two guys, things began to straighten Up. Consider the problem closed.

Appreciate your help.

Ira White