Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i think i have a graphics card or video card failure

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok, im working on a dell pc... a dimension 2350 and my issue is whenever i try connecting the monitor, it stays black. There is no display at all. I try switching monitors and im having the same issue. An interesting fact is, im lookin at the monitor right now and nothing is plugged up to it and it is displaying the self test feature but when i plug in the chord into the back of the computer, it goes black and stays black. I thought i had a motherboard problem, but i hear no beep codes. So i am thinkin my graphics or video card has gone bad? Am i right to think this?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Do you have a seperate video card or is it built in? If it is not built in try removing it and turn it on and see if you get any beeps... if you still do not get any beeps or cannot remove the video try removing all the memory and turn it on... if still no beeps then you may have a bad motherboard..... you may get it back by removing and reinserting both the video and memory... Oh and does it sound like it is booting but no display or does it just spin the fans etc..? if it doesn't sound like the hard drive is booting I'd go back to either a bad motherboard or bad power supply...

also try those monitors on another machine if they work there then that points back to the dell...