Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pioneer DVD-RW not reading DVDs

• Please log in to reply

Epidote

Epidote

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought a new game the other day that came on a standard dvd (GH3 PC version if anyone cares). This is the first dvd I've tried to run since I built my new comp and I can't get my DVR to run the disk. CD's and CD-Rs read fine (the only two other disks I have with me to try). When I close the tray with GH3 in it the mouse changes over to the "disk reading" icon and stays that way intermittently and it never loads. When I dbl click the drive letter it hangs until I eject the disk. I tried an autorun test and it told me the "Drive is either malfunctioning or the wizard was unable to solve the problem." I also deleted the upper filter in my registry (lower wasn't there... perhaps a clue for those more inclined). Firmware and drivers are up to date.

specs:
AMD Athlon X2 DC 2.4Ghz (4600+), 2GB ram
WinXP pro SP2

*I have the drive set up as master and my HD is SATA2*
**In "My Computer" it is showing up as two drives: DVD-RW Drive (D:) and DVD Drive (E:) - The D drive is the one that hangs, E says the tray is empty.**
***I also had powerISO installed and tried taking it off, nothing changed. It had set up a virtual drive.***

Here's a link to the culprit: http://reviews.digit..._specs1434.html

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Epidote, 18 February 2008 - 07:08 PM.

Advertisements

Epidote

Epidote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there a good chance the drive is toast? I mean is it possible that the dvd-rom be pooched and the cd-rom part work fine? I can pick up a basic 16x dvd-rom for roughly $20, but if I can fix this writer I'd be much better off.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try other DVD media to see if the drive can read them.
If not, the unit is probably toast so far as DVD Reading is concerned. It may be under warranty so send it back if that is the case.