Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connect one router to another

• Please log in to reply

CHRISJAFFE

CHRISJAFFE

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I am trying to connect one router to another. Here is the situation:

I have Verizon DSL as my ISP. I had a standard modem for several years and 6 months or so ago I bought a new wireless router. A Belkin N1. Last month my modem went bad and Verizon replaced it with a wireless router. A GT704WG made by Actiontec. I would like to connect my Belkin router to the Verizon one and access the Belkin wirelessly. It seems to be faster and has a better range.

I connected the routers, the WAN port on the Belkin one to an open LAN port on the Verizon one (It seems to only work with a crossover cable), and I can get an internet connection that way on the Belkin router. The problem is that the connection is pretty flaky. It resets it self often and is unusable at other times.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
cj

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You can daisy chain routers, but you must consider interference.
Both routers are transmitting the same 2.4GHz .In order for them to not interfere with each other they must change channels.
If they are close together this will cause problems.
Try getting a longer Ethernet cable (CAT 5 with RJ45 jacks) and putting them farther away from each other.

CHRISJAFFE

CHRISJAFFE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for the quick reply. I will try to move them apart.

one question. I have set them to different channels. Is this not the way to keep them from interfering?

Also, is there anything that I need to do to the setting to make them happy? The Verizon router has a setting under dynamic routing (RIP) that says version 1, version 2 or off (it states that this is for connecting additional routers). Any thoughts on what to do there? Anything else that I need to consider or is it as simple as moving the box?

Thanks again.
cj

Edited by CHRISJAFFE, 18 February 2008 - 10:19 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

The Verizon router has a setting under dynamic routing (RIP) that says version 1, version 2 or off

If you are still having problems, try each setting to find which one works best for you.

DF Simmons

DF Simmons

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My firsthand experience with the Actiontec router and the Verizon Fios internet service is that the connection is quite good but the wireless side of that router is very inconsistent in it's performance. Why not just shut off the wireless node on the Actiontec? We did that at a clients and stuck a WAP on the second floor and wireless access problems were over. Customer complained to Verizon that she had to pay $$ (we charged less than $150 to install including cost of the access point) to someone else to get service that they promised. Verizon hustled someone out there who replaced the router and de-installed the WAP which "fixed the problem" . Sure enough about two to three weeks later wireless access became very spotty again, to the point that the customer asked us to to put a wired node of her network at her kitchen counter (where the laptop lives).