Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"NTLDR is missing"

• Please log in to reply

mxd6

mxd6

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey Folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with something that sent me for a flip.
When I purchased my laptop Toshiba did not provide any back-up/recovery disks with the unit as it was ALL preloaded with XP.
I went ahead to load a NEW program "Roxio Creator 10" and it did take. So I removed and reloaded.
When the program came back to "shut down", I did but during the reboot it couldn't find my start up info and sent me a message then to my BIO. The message, "NTLDR is missing". I checked my the bio and the unit is booting by hard drive which it should. I found a boot up program (non OEM) that runs from the old floppy disks and put that into my USB port now it boots up. However, this did not correct the problem. Then I went into my system properties, start-up and recovery and noted that the default operating system was blank! So I opened the edit start-up options manually to boot note pad and saved.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

This did not do a thing but it did place the default operating system in the "blank" window.
However, the boot.ini is not the problem......still with me?
Ntldr is missing and n.detect must be the problem....this is where the problem gets the best of me as I do not know what to do. Without the recovery disk and R - repair, I haven't got a clue what to do.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi mxd6, welcome back.

Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728 . Post back if that doesn't help.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Rich,

Sorry but no go. The problem is I do not have any back-up or recovery disk. It was all preloaded without the back-up. However, all XP that were released shortly there after had the CD-ROM's.
The boot disk I found is a quick fix (to act as the master boot) only.
I'm still at square one.

Thanks,
Mike

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, try this then.
  • Download a bootable iso image of the Recovery Console from here: XP Recovery Console
    Note: You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. DeepBurner is free and will do this nicely.
  • Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console. From the command prompt, enter:
  • chkdsk c: /r to verify file system integrity
  • fixboot
Reboot and see if that resolved the problem. If not, boot the RC again and enter bootcfg /rebuild, see if that does it.

BTW: Most OEMs that did not provide a recovery CD have a hidden partition on the hard drive that you can use to restore the system to factory settings. Also, many provide the ability to create recovery CDs.

What is the make and model of your computer?

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello Rich,

I'll try your remedy as so as I get home later on today.
To answer you question I can do this right now.

Laptop - Toshiba Notebook M45-S165

This I find very interesting:
"BTW: Most OEMs that did not provide a recovery CD have a hidden partition on the hard drive that you can use to restore the system to factory settings. Also, many provide the ability to create recovery CDs".

Thanks again for your assistance as it is greatly appreciated!!

Mike

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Rich,

One question for clarification: are we talking burn to CD, CD-ROM or DVD? CD's music, CD-ROM or DVD.

Thanks,
Mike

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Mike, according to what I could find on the Toshiba web site, the M45 should have come with Restore CD. If you don't have it, you should be able to contact Toshiba and buy one.

See here: http://askiris.toshi...S... 0 28668401

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you can borrow a cd of xp home edition you will probably succeed to enter recovery console and perform microsoft's procedure as suggested by ztruker in post no. 2.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

If you can borrow a cd of xp home edition you will probably succeed to enter recovery console and perform microsoft's procedure as suggested by ztruker in post no. 2.

Thanks but that was the first thing I tried. The Toshiba Recovery and Applications/Drivers know it was not for that laptop - encryption of some type I guess plus the M45 series is long gone and not sold any longer - NOW I KNOW WHY THE CHANGE SO OFTEN!!. It was my sons!

So to make a long story short.......I ordered the correct RAD from Toshiba today on expedited delivery. As for the BIOS on my laptop, it is set where I can't do a thing.......no access to the unit now.

I hope it arrives before the weekend as my sons unit is on lone to me now.

Mike

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean As for the BIOS on my laptop, it is set where I can't do a thing.......no access to the unit now. Are you saying it has a BIOS password on it so you can't get into BIOS Setup?

Advertisements

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

What do you mean As for the BIOS on my laptop, it is set where I can't do a thing.......no access to the unit now. Are you saying it has a BIOS password on it so you can't get into BIOS Setup?

Rich,

Thanks for asking this question!!
What the problems is now that while in my BIOS, I CAN'T direct which location the machine is to boot from - example:

error message, "NTLDR is missing"
press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

go to set up utiliy, boot utility then:

(pick one)

hard drive
removable devices
cd-rom drive
realtek boot agent

I pick removable devices, cd-rom drive or realtek boot agent and the machine DEFAULTS to the hard drive each and everytime no matter what I do!

Note: yes I went to set-up scrolled down to removable devices, cd-rom drive, realtek boot agent then F10 to save and it defaults back to hard drive - it is NOT reading for the above locations

Now I have my sons laptop so I took his recovery disk and tried it again (I know it will not work as a recovery source) just to see if the recovery disk I have on order will work.....well guess what...it DEFAULTS back to hard drive - again, each and everytime no matter what I do!

This is a huge problem!!
I have NEVER seen anything like it.

Thanks Rich....maybe you have a remedy?

Edited by mxd6, 20 February 2008 - 12:57 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Very strange indeed. I've heard of this a few times before so you are not alone.

Usually there is a Fn key you can press during boot to bring up the Boot Selection Menu (F10, F11 or F12). From there you can choose what you want to boot, HD, CD, Removable (USB) media or Network. Try that.

Also, found this on the Toshiba site: Toshiba HDD Recoverey Utility

Using the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility from the recovery partition

In the event of a hard disk drive failure, you may be able to restore the drive to the factory default state using the on-disk Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility (in the special partition on the hard disk drive).

You can elect to restore the entire hard disk drive to the factory default state, or to restore only the C: drive -- without affecting other partitions (for example, a D: drive) -- or to change the size allocated to your C: drive, and then restore it.

To recover your hard disk drive from a system failure using the utilities stored on your computer’s HDD, follow these steps:

1. If the computer is running, shut it down -- by clicking Start, then Shut Down, then Shut Down again.

2. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then depress the computer's power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear, presenting three options:

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Rich,

It seems that each recovery CD-ROM is designed for certain models. My M45 was not listed so with all the problems I have been experiencing I think I should wait for OEM recovery to arrive direct from Toshiba. If I have one chance to make the boot utility work.......holding my breath.......I would like the OEM to make the recovery process proceed without incident.

I have also discovered why the problem occurred in the first place....the copy of Creator 10 is a pirate copy sold on eBay!! So the complete massive upload to my hard drive was likely doomed from the start.

I'll let you know how it all turns out. It's a cruel, scamming, rip-off world out there. If it is not Malware designed from a sick tormented fool, it's some idiot selling pirated garbage software to cheat the public so they can make a buck.

Thanks,
Mike

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Mike, I have one question. If you can't get the computer to boot from CD, how will you use the restore CD when you get it?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Is it possible to get an external USB CD to boot from?
Your Cd may not be functioning properly.
You can set BIOS to boot from removable devices.