Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"NTLDR is missing"

• Please log in to reply

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Mike, I have one question. If you can't get the computer to boot from CD, how will you use the restore CD when you get it?

Losts of praying Rich along with your last advice mixed in.
If you have a better idea....please advise........ :)

The apprentice to read #11.

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try my suggestion of pressing F10, F11 or F12 during boot, see if that brings up a boot selection menu.

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Very strange indeed. I've heard of this a few times before so you are not alone.

Usually there is a Fn key you can press during boot to bring up the Boot Selection Menu (F10, F11 or F12). From there you can choose what you want to boot, HD, CD, Removable (USB) media or Network. Try that.

Also, found this on the Toshiba site: Toshiba HDD Recoverey Utility

Using the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility from the recovery partition

In the event of a hard disk drive failure, you may be able to restore the drive to the factory default state using the on-disk Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility (in the special partition on the hard disk drive).

You can elect to restore the entire hard disk drive to the factory default state, or to restore only the C: drive -- without affecting other partitions (for example, a D: drive) -- or to change the size allocated to your C: drive, and then restore it.

To recover your hard disk drive from a system failure using the utilities stored on your computer’s HDD, follow these steps:

1. If the computer is running, shut it down -- by clicking Start, then Shut Down, then Shut Down again.

2. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then depress the computer's power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear, presenting three options:

Rich,

After looking at this I would like to say I do not have it. Also it is not a download for the Toshiba site.
Thanks anyway.
Well the praying didn't seem help. My order was at the front door when I came home - Toshiba Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD for Satellite M40/M45 Series is in and there is no way I can run the CD or the USB floppy drive.
It defaults to dark drive each time I save (F10) from the Phoenix BIOS setup Utility.
I'm dead in the water.....

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you try F10, F11 or F12 as I mentioned?

mxd6

mxd6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Rich,

Yes, I've been using it since this first started as it is one of 2 ways to enter the boot menu.
The other is Ins key.

I've tried with both the CD and USB floppy with no luck. The default is set for hard drive.

Would "bit capacity" do anything to delay the read so one of the other boot selections have a chance to read? It is new territory for me so this is why I ask.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by mxd6, 21 February 2008 - 03:34 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It's possible the CD-ROM drive is defective. Any chance you can borrow a different one to try?