Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HDD not formatted

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay im not sure which is the problem it was dropped and started making horrible noises.. Then the drive was not accessable..

We got it to the point where you can just hear the hum.. the bad noises only happen when the recovery program access it.. then it clicks n clicks..

I used pc inspector recovery.. I was able to see the directories within the drive however if I try to save the files the program locks up and no longer responds.. Is there a better program out there??

Or is there a way to take apart the drive and fix what is wrong?? Im a bit desperate to save this information.. be willing to try anything..

The drive has fat 32 installed on it.. Not sure why i formatted it that way .. lol.. anyhow its been like that since we got it..

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You definitely dont want to crack the drive open, there is no turning back from there and you will almost certainly lose whats on the drive.
What has worked for me, is I removed the drive from the computer, then put it in another computer that is working as a slave drive. This way you boot with the good computer, then that drive shows up as a second drive in My Computer.

From there you can just browse the drive and copy and paste to a good drive.