Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't download large files?

• Please log in to reply

locurafan

locurafan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've been trying to download Photoshop CS3 for the past 2 days and for some reason, the download keeps getting stuck at random numbers (i.e 5%, 40%, etc) it's happened to me before with other files but I just pretty much gave up on them and didn't try again. With this one however, I kept re-trying. I figured I didn't have enough space on my computer so I deleted and uninstalled things. Got some space back, tried again, still nothing.
Now I'm on Windows Live Messenger and I can't get any files from other people no matter how small the file is.
could it be a virus or something?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Would you tell me a little about your internet connection set up please.
I would like to know;
  • What kind of connection do you have,
    • Dial up.
    • broudband.
  • If you are using a router.
    • Is it wireless.
    • what kind of router is it.
    • belkin.
    • D-link.
    • Linksys.
Lets start here.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I've been trying to download Photoshop CS3 for the past 2 days

from where? sometimes the source can cause issues

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm using DSL and downloading the file from adobe.com

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
often with dsl connections your account will have down?oad caps for the month. its possible that youve reached that limit

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I see you also posted this on Yahoo.answers. Did you follow the suggestion there to make sure you have enough free hard drive space?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The problem is that you are not reconnecting when the server times out.
I have to look up how to change this setting.
But if any one remembers how to set the browser to automaticly reconnect when the server times out please help.
Are you using Internet explorer, Firefox,...?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
On the Adobe CS3 download page, there are some links to DVDs you can order that include the trial version of CS3. Won't fix the problem but will at least get you the software.

I see the size is 450MB+. That's a hefty download.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I see the size is 450MB+. That's a hefty download.

Is there a zipped version that you can download?

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have nearly 3 GB of free space. I've been going crazy deleting temporary files, pics, music, and uninstalling programs. I looked at the requirements for downloading Photoshop and I doubt it's the space.

I'm using firefox. Though I also tried downloading it on internet explorer and the same thing happened

I literally wanna choke my computer lol

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I do not think it is your computer.
Your ISP is most likely at fault.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You might want to give DrTCP a try. Set the RWIN to 32767 and see if it makes any difference.

Edit: Since DrTCP makes registry changes, it would be a good idea to backup the registry first.

An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

Edited by Ztruker, 19 February 2008 - 09:53 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If the download fails using IE close the download window using the cancel button and then restart the download. It will begin where it left off. Do not close it using the X in the corner of the download window or it will have to start all over again. You can also get a resumable download manager like Flashget which will be very worthwhile if you have a problem maintaining connections. Adobe may have a download manager too. Many sites that support downloads will have some kind of help in that direction.

Edited by Tyger, 19 February 2008 - 09:59 PM.

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried DrTCP and it didn't help

I also tried pausing the downloading on Firefox AND Internet Explorer. Neither worked :)

I'll try a download manager and see if that helps

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no one entertaining the idea of a DL cap on the DSL line? by the description the OP tried to download a massive file more than once....and now can't download anything else...even small files....i'll bet a pepsi that on march first downloading will resume