Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't download large files?

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Never heard of a download cap for DSL or Cable. I would be a bit irate if it happened to me.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's actually quite common....especially in areas that have jsut recently recieved DSL or cable service (this mostly applies to DSL) or more rural areas....they limit your download to XGB a month and once you hit that cap they either completely kill your DL (rare) or drop your bandwith to such a low amount that the only thing you can download is the webpages itself...efectively causing file downloads to die

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
well I downloaded FlashGet and I couldn't download it so I just uninstalled it lol

I live in Houston, TX so...would they put a limit on my downloads? Or is that just for smaller places? I don't download many things. I'm getting stressed here lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only way to find out if you've got a download cap would be to call your ISP

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
bleh, I really don't feel like dealing with those people. I asked my friend to download it for me and send it to me via Windows Live Messenger. It's not even halfway done but we'll see how it goes

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
alright so that didn't go too well. the transfer with my friend only got to about halfway then got canceled....twice

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
who's your isp and what level DSL are you on?

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have SBC Yahoo DSL but I don't know what level I'm on. in fact, I have no idea what that is lol