Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP .NET Framework "reinstall"

• Please log in to reply

Abner

Abner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings to all out there that receive/ peruse this message!!!

I am VERY NEW to computers (Old, self).

This computer is a 1998 Compaq Pressario 5220 Desktop. Processor speed is only 387MHz with only 128 Mb of Ram (from what I've 'sort of learned' so far), so please bear with me....

Somehow (possibly mid-to-third week of January 2008), I lost some "programming" that pertains to my .NET Framework. Have tried through Microsoft Downloads to rectify (And buying "Idiot Books"), but still to no avail. Probably I am still not doing things correctly ........confusing to me.

I do know ( and have seen) that I am running Windows XP SP2,
And .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
on this computer (according to my Control Panel) ALL PROGRAMS

But, each and every time I turn this computer ON......after I get past the WELCOME screen, I get an Error window that states "Lxddamon.exe-error Mscorees.dll not able to show error" (Because of a .dll error?)

I can either CLOSE or OK that window to go further.

I have Yahoo set as my Default Home Page (If that makes a difference) (?) Also, right now, only Classic Mail and IE6.
(Have IE7 in this computer, but not using it now....... Did not care for that Toolbar)

"Microsoft Help" has yet to give me any answers [Phones were Not Available today]

Any ideas for this necessary repair/ rectification are most welcome!!!!!!!!

First-time into Geeks-to-go, so please be gentle........

This address is Edit:Removed email for security reasons

"GEEK ON" !!!!

Abner

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hello Abner, welcome to G1G.

My but you are a glutton for punishment :) 387MHz with only 128 Mb of Ram must be like watching molasses flowing in January!

Lxddamon.exe belongs to LexMark so it would be a good idea to uninstall your LexMark printer, reboot and see if the error is gone.

If that doesn't help, did you try uninstalling .NET from Add or Remove Programs then reboot and see if the error is gone or not.

Abner

Abner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
To Ztruker (Rich)

Thank you much for response!!!! But, I have unistalled/ re-installed this Lexmark 2500 MANY times, to no avail ....for this ERROR window that comes up after 'Welcome' screen

(Shall do so/ try that again after this Reply... "If Need Be")

Only program that is remaining in my Add or Remove Programs that have a (.NET) is one :

" Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 186.00MB "

Most Microsoft Downloads that I have seen are only as much as 30MB.

If I were to REMOVE that programming.....is that the same as 'uninstall' ??
(If not same as) how do I uninstall and still have the programming in this computer?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Abner, Remove Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 186.00MB via Add or Remove Programs. Reboot and see if the error still persists. You can always download and reinstall it later if it's needed.