Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows User mode driver framework

• Please log in to reply

revdotbob

revdotbob

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am bringing my son's Compaq Armada M700 out of storage for a new project. Running XP service pack 2.

On boot up I get a message saying thet Windows User Mode Driver framework has found new hardware when there is none. I close the message and am told the hardware -unspecified - may have difficulties running. I have not experienced any problems after boot up

I am aware that WUDM has occasionally had problems with Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player 11 is running without difficulties

All Windows updates are installed. I have run the XP disk to check against missing/changed files and nothing was wrong

AVG antivirus says the system is clean as do ADaware and Spybot search and destroy

Has anyone come across this before?

revdotbob

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
also has to do with ...Digital cameras...Portable media players ..and Personal digital assistants (PDAs)

Other devices such as USB, that connect to a protocol bus...

do you have anything like these connected at bootup..

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for coming back.

No nothing connected at boot up. Only the hard drive and CD drive built into the laptop

Checking my sons software he did have a Zen MP3 Player

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
The Windows User Mode Driver Framework service supports synchronization of content with hardware MP3 players. If you do not have a hardware MP3 player, you can set the Windows User Mode Driver Framework service Startup type setting either to Disabled or to Manual. Later, if you obtain a hardware player and if you want to synchronize it with Windows Media Player 10, you can enable the Windows User Mode Driver Framework service by changing the Startup type setting back to Automatic.....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892552

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for coming back

I followed the link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Windows Driver Foundation/User Mode Driver framework was set to manual. I set it to Disable but the "Found new hardware" wizard/message still comes up. It says it wants to find software for the User Mode Driver Framework

Just before the message comes up a an icon appears in the startup toolbar (next to the clock).

I am going to work through the items in the start up to see if there is anything lurking there. I'll post a list when I've done that

I also wonder about uninstalling Windows Media Player and trying WinAmp

Thanks for your help

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have cleaned up the startup menu

I now have only three items - AVG anti-virus, quicktime and windows cfmon.exe which I have checked and believe to be ok.

The found new hardware page still appears

I have Quicktime installed but could try uninstalling in case that is the problem

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You said cfmon.exe, did you really mean ctfmon.exe? If so you can disable that one as well since it monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

You can even uninstall it if you want (I and many others have): http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q282599

revdotbob

revdotbob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I uninstalled Windows Media Player and still had the WDUF page come up.

I installed WinAmp, still had WDUF come uo, but also WinAmp told me there was a problem with sound card.

I went to My Computer/Device manager and found exclmation marks by both the Audio driver and WDUF

The audio driver is an SiS 7018

I uninstalled and re-installed it. I checked using a new version of the driver but same result. I get a message "device cannot start Code 10"

It would seem that the WDUF message on boot up is related to this failure.

Searching on Google suggests that the problem may be that this is the wrong driver but I am not sure how to check that

That was a typo re ctfmon.exe. I'm assuming that is something I can pick up later and not causing this