Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Won't Boot!

• Please log in to reply

tsylvio

tsylvio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

The problem I'm having is a failure to load Windows. The computer is not located here with me, I'm attempting to provide support to a co-worker in an out of town office so that makes the situation even more difficult. So for starters the computer boots to the Dell screen as it typically would and then when it goes to load windows instead of seeing the typical windows screen all she sees is a black screen. I began by having her look at the 4 lights on the back which are all lit up green in color (which the Dell site tells me everything should be functioning properly.) I tried to have her load in safe-mode and the computer refuses to load in safe mode as well. She entered the system setup (F12 from the dell start screen) and did the system test. She compiled the following list of errors:

Express Test
Error code: 0F00:136C

Extended Test
Error code: 2C00:021C (2 times)

Analog Sound Playback Test
Error code: 1B22:061B

Surround Sound Playback Test
Error code: 1B22:0F1B

Center/LFE Sound Playback Test
Error code: 1B22: 101B

Record + Playback Test
Error code: 1B22:071B

I've tried doing searches on some of these codes with no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate the feedback but it appears to me that something is seriously wrong.

Computer Info:
Dimension 4600
Windows XP Pro v2002 SP2
Pentium 4 2.8
256mb RAM

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Here I am on a Dell Dimension 4600 that I bought for $15 because some one couldn't get it to boot, and added memory for $65 and now I have a nice machine that really works much better than the old 2300 I had. Within ten minutes I had it booting fine.

Your friend needs to go into BIOS and set the boot options for the kind of hard drive that is installed. It will accept either PATA or SATA drives and it needs to be set correctly. Check and see if there are any errors related to CMOS battery failure and replace the battery if need be.

tsylvio

tsylvio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Here I am on a Dell Dimension 4600 that I bought for $15 because some one couldn't get it to boot, and added memory for $65 and now I have a nice machine that really works much better than the old 2300 I had. Within ten minutes I had it booting fine.

Your friend needs to go into BIOS and set the boot options for the kind of hard drive that is installed. It will accept either PATA or SATA drives and it needs to be set correctly. Check and see if there are any errors related to CMOS battery failure and replace the battery if need be.

How would the BIOS get changed if there was no hardware changes made to the machine? Would this be some type of virus issue? How would I check the CMOS battery errors?

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by tsylvio, 19 February 2008 - 10:51 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The BIOS settings could change if the CMOS battery was failing. But I have no history of the computer so I really couldn't make any definite statements about it. All I can do is suggest possibilities and the first one is to check the boot order. Battery failure might give a checksum failure or the time and date in the BIOS listing would be wrong. I have no idea what those error codes mean, you would have to check the Dell listing for them. Have her read you the serial number, aka service tag # and put it in at the Dell site.

Also, if the hard drive being recognized in the BIOS correctly?

Edited by Tyger, 19 February 2008 - 11:41 AM.