Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help badly neded...(RESOLVED, A MASSIVE THANKS TO WANNABE1)

• Please log in to reply

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello, I am new to the site, I came across it by chance, and after reading a few of the topics I thought I would put my own computer related problem here, as there seems to be alot of knowledgeable people, hopefully 1 of you can help me with a very annoying problem.

The problem I have is with my audio. For years the sound on my pc worked fine, until 1 day its just started makin a horrible skipping, crackling noise when the was any sound coming from the speakers.

The noise happens when I am streaming music or video and also when I am playing music or video from my HDD. The problem also happens no matter which program I use to play music/video files. It also happens on every single audio file I play, it is not just a problem with certain files. For some reason it occurs more when I am multi tasking. If i just have WMP playing and no other programs running, it is hardly noticeable, however, if I open another program, it gets alot worse.

This proves a massive problem for me, as I like to make music mixes on the pc, and when I run my Virtual DJ program and record, the crackling noise is quite bad, and makes recording impossible

I have recorded 2 audio samples and uploaded them so any1 that may be able to help me can take a quick listen (the are only around 35 secs long, and dont need to be downloaded, jus left click to play them)

The file I used to take a recording of is a good quality file, recorded @ 192kbps. It plays fine on other pc's, or when burned to cd and played on a stereo.

http://www.speedysha.../977225792.html

Sample 1 has been recorded with jus WMP playing a music file, there is little or no crackling or distortion etc

Sample 2 has been recorded with WMP playing the file, and Bitlord running in the background (The recording would also be the same, no matter which other program was running, this is not just a problem with Bitlord)

This never used to be a problem, it just seemed to come all by itself, and as you can probably imagine, it is unbearably annoying. If any1 can help me out with this, I would massively appreciate it

Edited by -AaronJ-, 20 February 2008 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
It seems to be a problem with the actual hardware, and not software. It may as well be possible that the connection between the speakers and the actual input jack. You may try someone else' speakers on that computer to see if the disruption still exists. If it does you may certainly try and take it to replace the audio jacks or the connection.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi -AaronJ-...

Sounds like it's being played through the processor instead of the RAM. Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", click the "Advanced Settings" tab. and list what you find as the "Current Transfer Mode" for each device listed for each channel here for me.

wannabe1

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello guys, and thankyou for the replies

@ Will - Tbh I dont think it is anything to do with the jack or speakers because the sound would be distorted all the time, and not just when the CPU is multi-tasking. Because of this, Im sure it must be to do with something relating to the actual PC

@ Wannabe1, for the Primary IDE Channel...

'Device 0' has...
Device Type - Auto Detection (Box is greyed out)
Transfer Mode - 'DMA if Available'
Current Transfer Mode - 'PIO Mode'

'Device 1' has...
Device Type - 'Auto Detection'
Transer Mode - 'DMA if Available'
Current Transer Mode - 'Not Applicable'

For the Secondary IDE Channel...

'Device 0' has...
Transfer Mode - 'DMA if Available'
Current Transfer Mode - 'Ultra DMA Mode 2'

'Device 1' has...
Transer Mode - 'DMA if Available'
Current Transfer Mode - 'Ultra DMA Mode 2'

I hope this is the information you needed, thanks again for the reply

Edited by -AaronJ-, 20 February 2008 - 02:10 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As I suspected...

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose "Uninstall"....Accept the change...then reboot, let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it, then reboot again.

Try your music after the second reboot.

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I dont believe it!!!!

Its fixed!!!!!

Ive had this problem for months on end and now its gone!!!

I can now finally do my own mixes again :)

Thankyou so much for your help, my best wishes go out to you :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm glad that fixed you up! :)

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting at some point in the future, it may indicate a problem with your hard drive. You may want to keep your backups current until you are sure this isn't the case. I highly recommend keeping good backups anyway...you never know when something may cause your hard drive to fail.

Take care.......

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sure, I will do that, many thanks for the advice :)