Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FPS Relying On Processor?

• Please log in to reply

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
So I have a very old AMD Athlon 3200+ single core. Yea that's right single core. So I'm going to do my once every 5 years processor upgrade. I'm getting an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

I currently have:

AMD Athlon 3200+
1 GB DDR
Nvidia Gforce 8600 GT

Once I upgrade I will have:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
2 GB DDR2
Nvidia Gforce 8600 GT

I am just wondering what kind of affect a processor upgrade like this will have on my FPS (frame per second) while playing games. I notice some Lag every once in awhile in some games. Crysis maxes out right now at 25-29 FPS on medium settings. Will a new processor bump that up? I know it will, but by how much? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I could give you an exact number, you'd be looking at something in the area of 10FPS. Just a word of warning, I think you'll need a new PSU as that older motherboard likely has a 20pin connectors not the 24pin connector we see now. Also you don't mention a new motherboard at all, you need this to upgrade your CPU.
I suggest the following two parts.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059
and
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817256037
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 February 2008 - 11:56 AM.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey Thanks. 10 FPS would be nice. Plus I am mostly buying it for increase on video editing.

I am upgrading my Motherboard. And I checked that my current PSU usses a 24 pin connector. I had to upgrade it awhile ago because it was dying.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135047

I am getting that MB because I want to SLI another 8600 GT later on.

Thanks for your help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ECS is a very bad motherboard manufacturer, you're looking at a lot of problems if your purchase it. The 8600GT isn't a good card for gaming, please don't SLI it.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 February 2008 - 12:12 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

ECS is a very bad motherboard manufacturer, you're looking at a lot of problems if your purchase it. The 8600GT isn't a good card for gaming, please don't SLI it.
James

This is the truth. I would recommend getting the motherboard James recommended in an earlier post, and if you want to upgrade your graphics solution, get a 9600GT or a 8800GT; both will give much greater performance than two 8600GTs for about the same cost.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey thanks. My friend was actually going to give me his 8600GT (he got a 8800 GT) to SLI that was the only reason I was thinking of doing it. I know the performance would not be anything compared to a 8800gt, But I think what I am going to do is buy the Gigabyte motherboard. Seems like a better choice. I noticed it also supports faster memory. And then I'll get the E6750 and some DDR2 1066 memory and see where I go from there. I'll most likely upgrade later on from the 8600GT to a 8800 or a 9 Series when they come out. Thanks for your help. Always get great help from this forum.

Edited by Thexgene14, 19 February 2008 - 02:17 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Just looking to save you a bit of money: If you don't plan on overclocking, DDR2-1066 RAM would be overkill. You can get 2GB of nice DDR2-800 RAM for about $40, and you won't notice a difference.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Oh really? Thanks. This is my first major upgrade since I bought the computer 4-5 years ago. Kinda new at this. Thanks again.

EDIT: This stuff good?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820134488

Edited by Thexgene14, 19 February 2008 - 02:26 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Also, if you can find one, I'd get an E8200 instead of an E6750. It should be around the same price, but it will use less energy, run cooler, and be a bit faster. It also has higher overclocking potential if you ever decide to do so.

And I would get this RAM instead as it is cheaper after the rebate and it comes with heatsinks and uses tighter timings (which makes it faster).

Edited by stettybet0, 19 February 2008 - 02:34 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Also, if you can find one, I'd get an E8200 instead of an E6750. It should be around the same price, but it will use less energy, run cooler, and be a bit faster. It also has higher overclocking potential if you ever decide to do so.

Unless you have a Pentium 4 don't do this, many of the motherboards have older BIOS that do not support the newer Wolfdale (E8x00) processors.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Huh? What does having a P4 have to do with Wolfdale compatibility? Obviously without upgrading his motherboard, no Intel CPU will work in it...

Anyways, I suggested the E8200 based on the fact that he decided to also get the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L that we suggested, which supports Wolfdales.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yeah I was confused by what he meant. Pentium 4? Huh?

The E8200 is very hard to find. I found a E8400 on Newegg but it was out of stock so I looked at TigerDirect and found it their. Its only 40 dollars more than the E6750. I think I'll go for that. 40 bucks is worth 3.0GHZ, 6M L2 Cache and 45 nM Architecture. Heard the 45 nM makes it stay cooler too.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Huh? What does having a P4 have to do with Wolfdale compatibility? Obviously without upgrading his motherboard, no Intel CPU will work in it...

Anyways, I suggested the E8200 based on the fact that he decided to also get the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L that we suggested, which supports Wolfdales.

It doesn't support the processor out of the box. Many are having issues and need a BIOS update for compatibility, I should have clarified this. The reason why I said P4 is because you'd need an older processor to be used for the BIOS update.
The E8200 was just released on the market which is why it's so difficult to find.
James

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I was reading the reviews and it looks like for this MB I should not have to flash the bios in order to get it to work with the E8400. Many people got it working right out of the box. They recommended getting the latest bios update later on though.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I was reading the reviews and it looks like for this MB I should not have to flash the bios in order to get it to work with the E8400. Many people got it working right out of the box. They recommended getting the latest bios update later on though.

I'll admit the odds are in your favor, but there is still potential for it not to work properly. This is your decision to make, if it doesn't work, a local computer store will likely do it for you for 25$ or so. So the risk isn't huge, you just might be out a little bit of money, should the issue arise.
James