Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird hanging problem

• Please log in to reply

dr_pepper

dr_pepper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Within the past month I've noticed that my computer periodically hangs. The main problem I'm having is that when watching a video, either in Media Player 10, Winamp, Core, etc., the video and audio will stutter every 60 seconds, almost exact. The worst part is, I fixed this once after searching for the answer all over the place, but had another unrelated problem that caused me to perform a system restore, after which the problem was back. I can't remember what I had to do to fix it. The weird part is that if I watch task manager for CPU usage, instead of the system getting too "busy", it actually goes idle - System Idle Process goes to 99% for about 2 seconds, then the system gets back to work. I think maybe I had to change a registry value, or update some drivers, but I really can't recall. If anyone has input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: After reading another post on here for help, I tried looking in event viewer for possible errors. Under system I have red X's every 1:05-1:06, with the error: "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block."

Now that I know what's wrong, how do I fix this?

Edited by dr_pepper, 22 April 2005 - 06:25 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Run a chkdsk on every volume you have on your computer

Start > run
cmd
<enter>
at the prompt type
chkdsk c: /r