Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore...

• Please log in to reply

smittyd

smittyd

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hello. Although I have system restore enabled with max storage, I can't restore past the previous day (Feb. 18). I would like to restore to the date of Feb. 16 (Saturday). But none of the dates prior to Feb. 18 are abled to be clicked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Smittyd

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely the amount of space given to Restore to hold restore points is too little for more than 1 point. The first restore point can take up to 500MB and successive points are usually around 200 MB. If your space used is too low windows only saves the last restore point available

You can see the used space to be used by System Restore...
1. Right click on My Computer > Properties.
2. System Restore tab, Then select your master drive then click Setting button.
3. See what the setting is, you can move the slider to select more Space to be used for System Restore if needed.

I personally do not use Restore on my computers simply because it is not enough for me. I have been using Symantic Ghost to make my own recovery DVD's. Lately i have been expermenting with Acronis True Image11 to also make recovery DVD's with some success. I prefer these simply because all programs and data i have installed does not get lost with these programs.

SRX660

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks for the reply. But I think I know what happened. Again, thanks...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Share your knowledge with us. We are curious.

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Don't you have the option to create your own restore point?? Windows Home XP SP2 and previous older OS versions have had this option. Works realy well.

Edited by headwayne, 19 February 2008 - 03:22 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
SRX660, you said The first restore point can take up to 500MB and successive points are usually around 200 MB. Where did you get this information.

On my XP SP2 computers (3 of them), a restore point takes a max of 60MB. I have my SR space set to 500MB and it holds 9-10 restore points.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I'm not sure where i got that figure. I think i read somewhere that the first restore was near that figure and successive restores could be up to 200 MB.

SRX660

dkellermann

dkellermann

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I also only have 1 restore point to choose from, and it's 1.14 GB in size. Anyone know WHY it's so big?

Also, I had made a zip file of my very first restore point and put it in the system volume info folder, will I be able to use this when unzipped, or will XP not allow it?

Diane

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How are you determining the size? Are you opening C:\System Volue Information\_resotre{nnnn..... and right clicking oh the RPnn folder and selecting Properties?

As far as using the one you zipped, the only way to know is to try it. If/when you do, please post the results here for all of us.

Thanks,

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
It is important to note that all restore points are linked.... any restore point created prior to the missing or corrupt restore point will not function....so right now those RPs are just wasting space...
You can either delete all restore points except the latest one... or all the restore points

To delete all restore points except the latest one, use the Disk Cleanup utility. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup. Click on the more options tab and then select Clean up in the System Restore dialog box.

To delete all the restore points on your computer, disable and re-enable system restore on the system. Click Start, Control Panel, and then the System icon. Click on the System Restore tab in the dialog box, select the Turn off System Restore check box, and click Apply. Clear the check box again to re-enable System Restore and then click OK.
if you use the 2nd option ...create a RP manually so you have at least one good one

dkellermann

dkellermann

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

How are you determining the size? Are you opening C:\System Volue Information\_resotre{nnnn..... and right clicking oh the RPnn folder and selecting Properties?

As far as using the one you zipped, the only way to know is to try it. If/when you do, please post the results here for all of us.

Thanks,

Yes, that's what I did... wrong way?
For months I only had 1 restore point, today I was nosing around and I now have 8 RPxxx folders along with my zipped RPxx folder! I didn't make any changes... that I know of anyway :)
If I ever have to use the zipped restore I'll post how it goes.

Diane