Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

My main HD is I: and I would like to rename it

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, My original C: Drive died some time ago and the replacement was named I: as C: was still somewhat functional while I did my best to salvage data from it.

Having I: as my primary drive has caused some problems with auto installers etc. that will only look for a C: Drive.

I would like to know if it is possible and practical to change my I: Drive to C:. I know how to actually make the change but I am concerned it will cause all sorts of software havoc.

Please advise, thanks

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
in my experience any methods of renaming the primary partition do not result in good things....every time i've done it something broke and wasn't fixable....your best bet would be to back up all your data and start over from scratch

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not possible, you'd have to reinstall Windows.