Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The end of HD-DVD

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Sadly it appears HD-DVD is about to close it's doors.
http://www.engadget....rence-in-tokyo/
On the bright side, this formate war is finally over.
James

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not an A/V nut...so i can't comment too much...but to my understanding the differences between Blue Ray and HDDVD were negligible at best and wouldn't really be noticed by anyone but the nerdiest of nerds right? not like the VHS/BetaMax war where BetaMax was actually a far supperior technology that was just poorly marketed..

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

i'm not an A/V nut...so i can't comment too much...but to my understanding the differences between Blue Ray and HDDVD were negligible at best and wouldn't really be noticed by anyone but the nerdiest of nerds right? not like the VHS/BetaMax war where BetaMax was actually a far supperior technology that was just poorly marketed..

Two of the major differences to me between the two were the fact that A. HD-DVD was a cheaper format to produce and B. HD-DVD set standards that the players had to meet to be placed on the market, such as specific encoders (some blu-ray devices were released on the market that were sub par). Also, Song likes DRM to much for my liking and not a huge fan of they products overall. Quality wise, you really couldn't tell the difference between the two formats.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 February 2008 - 07:36 PM.

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
It looks like Blu-Ray won. Sony did more advertising with the ps3.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
http://www.popularme...ws/4250040.html