Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading to a silent PC

• Please log in to reply

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I'm thinking of completely getting rid of all the DELL components that I have (hoping that I wouldn't have to pay a lot for tax this year).
I already have these components:
Intel Q6600
Corsair HX620
Samsung dvd writer
1 x 250gb, 1 500gb WD SATA hard drive
BFG 8800GT OC

I have picked out these components:
Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN
I like this one because it has 8 SATA ports; I am unsure what this means though 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers, does this one mean its a connector for the front USB ports?

Computer Case -> Coolermaster CM 690
Would there be space behind the motherboard to hide cables like in Antec P182? I mainly selected this case because I want a silent one that isn't too heavy/big. My current case is not very good and fans inside are very loud.
The biggest thing I need help on would be selecting which silent fans to buy. I have heard the Noctua fans are very good. If I am going with this one, should I spend another $1 for the 1300RPM? would that be worth it? Are there any fans that's better and cheaper than the Noctua?
I might replace the blue LED fan at the front when I get some money too.

Memory -> I'm getting the Mushkin ones, I like the look and I'm avoiding Corsair RAM.

Last thing would be the CPU cooler, I might try OC'ing in the future hence why I want one.
Should I go with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or the Scythe Katana 2 CPU Cooler?

Thanks for reading,
Kamille

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hey Kamille, I'm not much into silent computing, but I can answer a few questions.

I am unsure what this means though 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers, does this one mean its a connector for the front USB ports?

Yup. :)

And for the CPU cooler, in terms of cooling the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro would be a better choice. However, the best CPU cooler available (the ZALMAN CNPS9700) is also very quiet. The CNPS stands for Computer Noise Prevention System.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Thanks stettybet0 :)

I also forgot to mention that I currently have Arctic Silver 5 and G0 stepping for the Q6600.
I also have no experience in overclocking and prefer non-LED fans, that's why I will eventually replace the front LED fan.

Edited by kamille316, 19 February 2008 - 07:11 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I went ahead and got the Noctua case fans and the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro. Hopefully it doesn't ship with UPS or FedEx :)