Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead eMachines T3958 Computer

• Please log in to reply

Frankschmidt

Frankschmidt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My eMachines T3958 desktop computer failed to start when I pushed the front panel button. I replaced the power supply, but still dead as a doornail. LED on motherboard is lit. I tried to jumper the power on jumper, in case the switch was bad. No luck. I think I had the right jumper, but am not totally sure. Does anyone have a diagram of the jumpers on the Seabreeze T3 motherboard, or a similar board. If the motherboard is bad, what alternatives do I have? Can I use a generic motherboard or does it have to be an eMachines board. I have seen a warning that you can lose all data, even with an Emachines board unless it is replaced in a certain manner. Any help from someone with a similar problem?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the power supply and the eMachines motherboard out of the case and either dump them in the nearest bin/scrapyard or use them as doorstops. That is all they are good for. Even then for the low quality of the bits originally using them as doorstops is probably too good for them.

You can use any standard MicroATX board that takes the processor currently installed and assuming your new PSU hasn't been reverse-fried by the deceased eMachines board, it'll still work. You'd have to probably perform a Windows Repair and subsequent activation though.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Are you sure you connected the new power supply to the motherboard properly? Somtimes I have had this problem when I forgot to connect the 4 pin connector in addition to the larger 20-pin connector. Also, try taking out all add-on cards and unpluggging all periferals, including the hard drive. You can also try it with differnt ram or try one stick of ram at a time in differnt slots. If you get a splash screen and can get into bios you know your mobo is not dead. If you are able to get into cmos, trying adding one thing back at a time until it fails to boot.