Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What type of memory do I need ?

• Please log in to reply

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Heres my problem: I bought a cheapo Acer 5135-2135 notebook; its still sealed and unopened.

It comes loaded with 1024 of RAM, and - I'm pretty sure - has room to add another 1024. It has Vista Home installed. I do not want to crack the seal on the box because if I CANT cheaply [under $50.00] add memory to this laptop, I'm gonna sell it. If I can add memory then I will throw in another 1024 and be OK running Vista Home.

MemoryUp.com says I need to crack it open to make sure I'm buying the right chip. Is there a way to get the correct info and but the memory WITHOUT opening the unit ?

Many thanks .........

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Unfortunately, your computer comes with 2 512s, so to upgrade, you'd need to buy one or two 1024s. You computer supports dual-channel, and can handle a maximum of 2048 MB (total). So you could upgrade to the maximum memory of 2 GB by buying 2 1 GB sticks. You can do so for as little as $45.00 @ crucial dot com.
The maximum speed is PC2-5300.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it came with Vista pre-installed, its most certainly going to be DDR2.
Look the laptop up on Crucial, they'll tell you what memory it takes and offer you to buy some as well.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Heres the Crucial link: http://www.crucial.c.....l=Aspire 5315

I guess my question is now: Admiral, how can you tell if its two 512 vs one 1024 ? Are you certain ?

$45.00 would be no problem, but it's $340 laptop; I'm not sure investing $90 plus shipping is worth it.

Thanks again ....

PS ... The label on the box reads: 1024MB DDR2
The CPU is a Celron 530 / 1.73 Mhz

Edited by Buccaneer, 19 February 2008 - 05:35 PM.