Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blocking p2p on wireless network

• Please log in to reply

utcol

utcol

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I am sharing a wireless router with three other people. Three of us use wired connection, whilst the other person uses wireless. However, the wireless user insists on using p2p download software, including Emule, Edonkey, Xunlei as well as p2p streaming software such as pplive and ppstream.

As she uses all of this software almost simultaneously, this is causing our internet to be INCREDIBLY slow, often rendering it unusable for everyone else.

Is there any way to block p2p or perhaps allocate a download limit to everyone sharing the connection? My router is Netgear DG834G.

Thanks!

Edited by utcol, 19 February 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Disable the wireless connection. :)

You should be able to block the ports that these apps use.

See Here

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I would either 1 Disable the wireless internet and tell the person using p2p that if they don't stop using the p2p software than they will not receive internet untill they uninstall it. 2. If they continue to complain about 3. I would put the wireless back on, but make a password that only you and your roommates know. I would also recommend typing in 192.168.1.1 in your browser and blocking all p2p ports. Thus blocking any p2p traffic being allowed to be used on there internet. Those are my suggestions.

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I would either 1 Disable the wireless internet and tell the person using p2p that if they don't stop using the p2p software than they will not receive internet untill they uninstall it. 2. If they continue to complain about I would put the wireless back on, but make a password that only you and your roommates know. I would also recommend typing in 192.168.1.1 in your browser and blocking all p2p ports. Thus blocking any p2p traffic being allowed to be used on there internet. Those are my suggestions. I hope those help you.