Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive Setup

• Please log in to reply

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Can someone please tell me how to install my new external hard drive? I connected everything correctly, made a partition, the computer recognizes it, I tried to format it but the computer says that I cannot format it... Is there something that I have to do in the CMOS or BIOS menu in order to set it up and get it running? Perhaps 200 gigs is too much?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Did the drive come with software to format it? If not goto the drive manufactuers site and download there software, burn it to a cd and follow the instuctions.

I am assuming this drive is for additional storage so there should be nothing you need to do in bios

Rick

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for responding so quickly.

It came with a CD and instructions. Instructions are in Korean. My wife speaks Korean but she dosn't understand anything about computers. The drivers are installed. "The device is working properly" messages pop up when I try to troubleshoot it. Under the "My Computer" window, the letter assigned is G:. If I look up its properties, it has 0kb of storage and its location is 0. Is there anything that I might have to do to enable my computer to handle a much larger volume like this? Or is there anything I can do to get my computer to recognize its storage capacity and location? I will try to delete the partition and create it again...

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have three external drives that I set up, all are working. The vendor for the enclosure says WXP is plug and play. Well, my experience is 'not exactly". I never could get format to work with the drive mounted inside the external enclosure, whether it was USB2 or Firewire (I have both). The easiest way I found was to insert the drive in my computer as a slave EIDE and format it there, take it out and install in the enclosure. Once it is formatted it is in fact "plug and play". It was actually easier to mount the drive once formatted in W2K Pro then it was in WXP. I use all three on different machines, W2K Pro and WXP Pro. :tazz:

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok... so can I hook it up on the Primary slave or the secondary slave? I will try both...

Edited by BuzzLightYear, 23 April 2005 - 07:49 PM.

BuzzLightYear

BuzzLightYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Actually, I hooked it up to both Primary and secondary slaves. On Primary, the computer wouldn't boot. On secondary, it looked like it was going to work but when it finished formatting, I got a message that says something to the effect of "Cannot format. Volume is too large." Does that mean that I should create a different type of partition or multiple partitions or what? I would really like to have the whole drive on just one partition.

Help :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
u could try a program like partition magic or something but that isnt free im sure there are others that are free tho also try going into administrative tools then computer management then disk managment and try formatting it in there or it may be in removable storage im not sure which tbh but try that see if it helps