Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading files

• Please log in to reply

barmcake

barmcake

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running XP and when I attempt to download Mpeg, WMV, AVI files from the Internet I only get the "Open Liink", "Open Link in New Window", etc options and the "Save as" option is greyed out.

Is there something configured incorrectly?

Any assistance / pointers would be appreciated,

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum, barmcake.

Some websites host video files for viewing online only (streaming), not for downloading and saving locally. Another possible solution is to look for "Save target as..." in the right-click menu. And if the target pops up in the dialog-box with a video filetype in it's name (eg mpeg, avi) that should work if you save it. But if it shows something like "htm" as the filetype, it's no good saving it since it's just a web-page and they don't want you to be able to download the file.

Edited by pip22, 20 February 2008 - 07:56 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have any trouble downloading anything else ...

barmcake

barmcake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can down load other items, even applications and shareware. The problem is only with AVI /Mpeg/ Wmv files.

The "Save Target as..." is greyed out in answer to pip22.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what website are you talking about?