Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ODBC connection error

• Please log in to reply

u41ck

u41ck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

As part of a trial of a BI application called QlikView I've been trying to load data from as many different sources as possible.

Until now I've not had a problem loading database files, table files, text files or spreadsheets. I wanted to try to load the "pubs.mbf" database that comes with SQL Server but when I try to configure it with ODBC I'm getting a connection error: "The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\pubs.mdf' may be incorrect." It isn't.

I can see that many other people have had similar problems with .mbf files. In dbforums, Linda Deng from Microsoft offered the following advice:

When you use the tool 'ODBC Data Source Administrator' to create a new system DSN and
attach a database, you should enter a new database name in the default database box
which doesn't exist on the SQL Server. If you are entering a database name that is
already in use, the error 'The database entered is not valid' will occur.

Please follow these steps:
1) Go into ODBC Data Source Administrator.
2) Click System DSN tab.
3) Click Add button.
4) Choose SQL Server and click Finish.
5) Enter whatever you wish in the Name and Description box.
6) Enter the name of your MSDE server name in the Server name box.
7) Click Next.
8) Choose the authentication mode and click Next.
9) Check the box labeled 'Change the default database to'. In the dropdown list,
please don't choose an existing database name in the list. Instead, enter a name
that doesn't exist. Choosing an existing name in the list will generate the error
described above.
10) Then check the box 'Attach Database Filename' and enter the path and file name of
the MDF file in the box.
11) Click Next to successfully attach this MDF to MSDE.

I hope the information helps. If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Linda Deng Microsoft Support Engineer

I followed these steps, several times, but each time I get the same error: "The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\pubs.mdf' may be incorrect."

I'm hoping that you can help me with this. Thanks.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello u41ck and welcome to Geeks to Go!

It appears this issue is addressed in the following MS KB:
PRB: Error 5177 May Be Raised When Creating Databases

Regards,

Ax