Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop icons and Start up menu won't open

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gunner_21

gunner_21

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot my computer. The problem is none of the desktop icons will open up and neither will the start up menu. There are no applications running and the CPU is running under normal speeds 99% System Idle. This is very weird. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Did you try cleaning your temporary files and doing a scan with anti-virus programs and anti-spyware programs?

If you haven't I would suggest that you do the above with ATF Cleaner, AVG Free anti-virus and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Good luck! :)

LT

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,
You may be having these problems due to malware having infected your computer, rather than doing what ltangelic has suggested follow the instructions that you will find HERE and if the situation persists post a Hijack This! log HERE to be analyzed by an expert.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Edited out malware advice by a non-staff member

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
ONLY spyware experts on this forum are permitted to help others with possible malware issues, although its kind of you to take the time to write that post Sarah Jane.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If I could remind everyone that due to the nature of the current malware bad advice could kill a machine dead. That is why we restrict all assistance in malware cases to the recognised experts.

Suerte is correct you do have a malware problem that needs to be treated by a qualified expert

Please read this thread before posting in the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Thank you :)