Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High Disk Busy Percentage; Fssm32.exe taking over [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Seem like F-Secure is up and running, that was the original problem??

p.s. i've tried removing ipodservice.exe several times now but for some reason this resistant program is still hanging around in my system processes

This is not a problem, if you want to remove all Ipod programs we can. Read here:
IPod here

HJT log looks good, detail any problems that you are having :)

Harry

Advertisements

mustard mustache

mustard mustache

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you, Harry.

I appreciate all the help; you've been absolutely phenomenal. Anyways, i'm going to be monitoring my system closely for the next week or so and if any major problems arise you can be sure that i'll have them posted up here in no time.

Until then though, adios.

I will just mention that while writing this response, I did notice that the process fssm32.exe briefly spiked up to 50% but then went back down to between 0 and 2%. So don't be too surprised to see that not all is well with my machine.

Again, thank you so much and I'll be looking into that Ipod removal link.

-Brent

mustard mustache

mustard mustache

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok, so i know it was only last night that i last posted, but the issue with fssm32.exe that i had reported at the end of that post is apparently more of a consistent issue than i had hoped. it seems to be lingering around 50% of my system's resources for about half the time, the other half dropping back down to 0%. I think its a little bit unreasonable for an antivirus program to be taking up that much of my resources, especially considering my computer's specs (3.8 ghz dual core, 1 gig of 2ghz ram, etc). So i'm assuming that something is still the matter. GAHHHHH.
what should i do???

Edited by mustard mustache, 25 February 2008 - 09:26 AM.

mustard mustache

mustard mustache

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
also, one last thing: on the ipod removal link that you supplied me there was another link to the uniblue registrybooster program. so i downloaded and ran it and it picked up over 500 registery issues. now in order to actually resolve these issues i'd have to pay for the program.. i was just wondering what your opinion on this program is. is it worth it? or perhaps is there a free registry cleaner of comparable quality out there that you know of?

thanks,
Brent

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hey mustard mustache,
Lets hold off downloading any programs untill I get a look at things again. You do not need to pay for programs right now, anyone thats asking for $$$ we want to stay away from.

I just got into my hotel, been a long 20+ hour day, let me review this again after some sleep.

Harry

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Good morning mustard mustache,

As to the Uniblue program you tried, it will look through your registry and remove entries left over (orphaned) from removed programs, ect. I do not think that its needed at this time, especially if you have to pay for it.

I went and researched a bit on F-secure, as with a lot of larger protection programs it can use quite a bit of resources. I suggest that you check your settings on it and see when its scanning. You can also browse through the F-secure support pages HERE

The Ipod link I gave you was just a description of that .exe, which is usually started with the Itunes you have on your machine. Try looking in your add/remove programs in control panel and see if Ipodservice is listed in there.

Check your settings, take a peek at the F-secure site and let me know what you find :)

Harry

mustard mustache

mustard mustache

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Harry,

So I've been monitoring my system and despite everything that we've done, fssm32.exe is still acting up--often consuming more than half of my system's resources. so basically i'm sick of this problem. i give up. i think i'm just going to turn to a different anti-virus program.. do you have any suggestions? i'm totally exhasperated.

-Brent

Edited by mustard mustache, 27 February 2008 - 06:01 PM.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hey Brent,
No need to give up, but I think we are going a bit over-board with this.
Any and all scanners will take up some of the available resources on your machine, just like any other program thats running. It just depends on the current state of the machine and whatever else is running. My machine here will become a snail when it is scanned, but it is a needed precaution.

Take a break for a bit, let F-Secure run its course and monitor the normal use of the machine, not the task manager. If its still a performance issue with F-Secure, we can remove it and load some other programs. Give it a couple of days, then report back.

Harry :)

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hey Brent,

How are things running there?
If all is OK I would like to close this thread :)

Harry

mustard mustache

mustard mustache

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes, well actually harry, things have not really improved. f-secure is still taking over and pretty much ruining everything. at this point i'm still looking out for a decent (preferably free) anti-virus program. on account of a rediculous work load at school i haven't had much time to really look, so if you have any suggestions at this point i'm still in much need. thanks.

Advertisements

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hey Brent,

I did some more research on your problem, and the results show that a lot of users just remove that program and go with something else. I would suggest that you try AVG with Kerio as your firewall. Be sure to only have one of each type of program running at one time:
Anti-Virus programs take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer. Having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause your computer to run very slow, become unstable and even, in rare cases, crash.

If you choose to install more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

There are basically two types of these programs:
On-Access and On-Demand

On-Access Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that run in the background all the time the PC is turned on and running. The main function of an On-Access scanner is to monitor activity on your machine.

On-Demand Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that only run when you ask them to.
Such as:
Online Scans and scanners that run on your machine but are not actively scanning your machine.

Here is a good list of available products:
Written by one of the best, check out the recommended prevention methods HERE

I do not believe that this is a malware related issue. Take your time with this, be sure to have protection in place, don't remove F-secure without replacing it with something.

I am going to close this thread, if you need further assistance just give me a shout.

Harry

mustard mustache

mustard mustache

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
alright harry, thanks for everything.

i'm currently in the process of downloading and installing avg and kerio as well as spyware blaster.

your help has been greatly appreciated. best of luck in your your persuits.

-brent

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.