Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there anyway to return my deleted photos?

• Please log in to reply

samboo1

samboo1

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I recently installed a program and when using it I found that it happened to delete many of my photos from my documents. I don't know why either. They have been deleted and aren't in the recycle bin either. I have tried a system restore, but they were deleted out of my documents so that didn't work, then I also downloaded a program called Recover Files, that did bring a few back but the rest of them were brought back as either uncompatible items or for some reason pictures of maps.

Is there anyway that I can get my photos back?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends if you've installed anything in the meantime or shifted data around that could overwrite the fragments of the original drives. A system restore was probably not the best thing to do as it'll move data around, increasing the chances that you've overwritten a fragment of a photo.

In a situation like this the best thing to do is just pull the power out as soon as you spot the data's missing - even more so if the data is on the drive that Windows is on. During a normal shutdown Windows writes stuff back to the drive so... You would need a second computer and some data recovery software, please don't even think about firing up the computer with the missing data and installing new stuff on it for reasons I've already explained.

Just out of interest, what program did you download that looks like it trashed your My Documents folder? So we can avoid it :)

Edited by Neil Jones, 20 February 2008 - 03:57 PM.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
EDIT: Actually I just managed to find the programs name and its called Video2DVD Author

Thanks for your help. I realise now that with all the things I have done, it is most probably too late to get them back now.

Edited by samboo1, 20 February 2008 - 04:35 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Give Restoration a try. Can;t hurt and may get back some, even most of your files.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Give Restoration a try. Can;t hurt and may get back some, even most of your files.

I managed to find a few more photos on that. A few more steps closer eh?

Thank you for it.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Try Recuva. It's made by the same company (Piriform) that made CCleaner and Defraggler, so based purely on rep, I'd give it a shot. I haven't used it, but it can't hurt, right?

gwhiz

gwhiz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
you can also try photorec best of all its free :) software

you can check it out at cgsecurity.org it works wonders and they have updated the program just resently..good luck :)

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Try Recuva. It's made by the same company (Piriform) that made CCleaner and Defraggler, so based purely on rep, I'd give it a shot. I haven't used it, but it can't hurt, right?

That is definately the best program ive tried so far, I got so many back.

Thanks so much for that!

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

That is definately the best program ive tried so far, I got so many back.

Thanks so much for that!

Good to hear! I'd check out the other two tools I mentioned as well, they'll keep your computer running great! (just don't use them until you've got everything back! :) )