Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Sector Of Disk

• Please log in to reply

Snacktapus

Snacktapus

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ive had this problem for ages with my laptop. It regularly shuts down and when I turn it back on I get this blue screen telling me my disk needs to be checked for consistency . My AVG scanner is picking out boot sector of disk - change. Anyone know how I can sort this problem out?

Thanks

Edited by Snacktapus, 20 February 2008 - 12:57 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might want to read this Microsoft article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/122221

While this may not be your problem, there is still some kind of software that is changing the boot sector at every startup. I have read that AVG anti-virus can cause this problem on some computers. One thing you can do is extract your boot sector to a bin file and open the file with notepad. You can then do this again and compate bin files to see if and where there are any changes. Another cause for this problem in laptops is that your BIOS battery is dead, so the computer has to rebuild the BIOS every time it starts. I have a real old Toshiba720CDT that does this but its not worth replacing the battery so i keep the laptop just to show people what the old laptops were like.

SRX660