Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL connection - additional pc connection - how do i?

• Please log in to reply

Jnita

Jnita

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,

I have read Dan G's post about how to set up Internet Connection Sharing(XP) - thanks Dan G, it will help.

My OS and PC:
XP Home 2002 SP2
Processor: Intel® Celeron® DCPU
430 @ 1.80GHz
960 MB RAM

Modem: RFC 1483 Mode (wired)
device type: network adapter
manufacturer: Marconi

My Question(s):
What hardware do I need to connect another PC or Laptop to my dsl connection? (... a HUB or a ROUTER? or not)
My modem do not have any other port (telephone line or USB) open, all ports (if correct term - sorry) are used.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

Regards
Juanita

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!!

If you want to setup a network, you need a hardware box, like a router.

If you want to use Internet Connection Sharing, that is built into Windows and you wont need anything for hardware other than cables.

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
jaxisland,

thanks for your welcome greeting and reply.

usb cables?

and I assume a router will ensure that 2nd connection not slow down my speed.

Regards,
Juanita

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A router will split the traffic equally between all the computers connected to it that are using the Internet. Some better routers may allow you to prioritise the internet traffic but most don't.

So if you download a file at, for example, 100k a second just on your own, and somebody else starts downloading another file on a second computer, both computers will eventually end up downloading at 50k a second until one finishes and the other speeds up due to the extra space having been made available. The speed of the routers' connection to the internet will not be affected but the available speed will vary depending on what both computers are doing on the Internet.

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks Neil