Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Post-- Computer Build Attempt

• Please log in to reply

jwall2004

jwall2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I strongly recommend one of these DVD drives over the Lite-On. I have the Pioneer and I'm planning to get the Samsung later on down the road so compare the two.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827129009
or
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827151153
I really like the Pioneer, it's more or less the best DVD burner on the market.
Again, I really recommend you get Vista Home Premium. I'm not sure why you want Ultimate so much.
If you don't have hard drive preference, Seagate offers a 5 years warranty over WD's 3 years.
James

Updated the OS and dvd,
Overlooked that on your last post.
With the E6750 how far can i oc it stable.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Just a heads up, a 64bit OS with 4GB of RAM will run at about the same speed as a 32bit OS with 2GB.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? Are you suggesting that a 64-bit OS uses RAM 50% less efficiently than a 32-bit OS? If anything, a 64-bit OS with 2GB of RAM will be faster than a 32-bit OS with 2GB of RAM when it runs 64-bit optimized applications, and about the same speed when running a non-optimized program.

I would recommend the 64-bit version if you don't want to have to upgrade again in a year when 4GB of RAM starts becoming more useful for games and 64-bit executables become more mainstream. The main downsides to 64-bit Vista is that some older hardware makers didn't make 64-bit drivers for their hardware and that old 16-bit programs won't run. As a gamer with brand new hardware, neither of these situations should apply to you. If you want to be on the safe side, you could always go with the retail version which includes both 32-bit and 64-bit, and allows you to re-activate Vista as many times as you want.

EDIT: Every chip is different, so there is no guarantees on how far you can OC your E6750. However, I've been able to get mine stable at 3.8ghz and I could probably go to 4ghz if I had a bit better cooling (I have an aftermarket cooler that I got for free that is only a bit better than the stock cooler). I currently run it at 3.6ghz 24/7 and it is rock solid.

Edited by stettybet0, 21 February 2008 - 02:31 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
All depends on the cooling, 3.6GHz should be easily achievable. I'm running my E6600 CPU (the E6750 replaced my CPU) at 3.8GHz and I plan to go much higher with my new RAM coming early next week. If you are looking to achieve more then 3.6GHz, I'd suggest looking for a more expensive cooler.
Also you'll need this.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186020
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

How did you arrive at this conclusion? Are you suggesting that a 64-bit OS uses RAM 50% less efficiently than a 32-bit OS? If anything, a 64-bit OS with 2GB of RAM will be faster than a 32-bit OS with 2GB of RAM when it runs 64-bit optimized applications, and about the same speed when running a non-optimized program.

I'll try to find the article I was reading just the other day when I get back from work. When using a 64bit OS, it doesn't run 32bit applications as efficiently. A 64bit OS becomes much more complexe and does require more RAM to operate at the same level of a 32bit OS.

I would recommend the 64-bit version if you don't want to have to upgrade again in a year when 4GB of RAM starts becoming more useful for games and 64-bit executables become more mainstream.

Don't use a 64bit OS, you will see no current benefit in running it and you're more likely to encounter problems.
James

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Also you'll need this.
James

The Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro does not come with one pre-applied?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Also you'll need this.
James

Not that I'm aware of, also I have always found the stuff that comes with these heatsinks to be very runny.
It appears it does come reapplied on this heatsink, news to me.
James

Edit: Corrected my mistake

Edited by james_8970, 21 February 2008 - 02:41 PM.

jwall2004

jwall2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
double post

Edited by jwall2004, 21 February 2008 - 02:51 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I'll try to find the article I was reading just the other day when I get back from work. When using a 64bit OS, it doesn't run 32bit applications as efficiently. A 64bit OS becomes much more complexe and does require more RAM to operate at the same level of a 32bit OS.

While a 64-bit OS does take up a bit more space in the RAM when running a program compared to a 32-bit OS, this does not mean it uses the RAM inefficiently. In fact, with the extra RAM a 64-bit OS can use, this problem is easily offset and eliminated.

I would recommend the 64-bit version if you don't want to have to upgrade again in a year when 4GB of RAM starts becoming more useful for games and 64-bit executables become more mainstream.

Don't use a 64bit OS, you will see no current benefit in running it and you're more likely to encounter problems.
James

I own the retail version of Vista Ultimate and have had both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed, and I tested FPS in several games I have. Note that when I had the 64-bit OS installed, my system had 4GB of RAM, but when I had the 32-bit version installed, I only had 2GB of RAM. In most of my games, the FPS difference was negligible (within 1 or 2 FPS). However in a few games, like Gears of War and STALKER, the 64-bit system had a definite advantage (5+ FPS) when run at max texture settings. It's no coincidence that all of these games are well known for using a very high amount of RAM for due to their high res textures. More and more games are using more than 2GB of RAM. For example, id's Rage is expected to use up to 10GB of memory (which means a lot of hard drive swapping, which will finally justify my purchase of a WD Raptor).

Also you'll need this.
James

It comes with Arctic Cooling MX-1 pre-applied.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Thanks!