Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After i Built my pc this happend!

• Please log in to reply

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
okay i build the PC and i was soo scared to turn it on at first but i finally go to it....so i press the power button and VOILA IT WORKS!!! IT SHOWS THE BIOS PAGES AND THEN SAYS TO INSERT A BOOT CD (or somethign along those lines) i was soo happy, since it said to restart and insert boot media i deciede to restart and configure the BIOS and looks at system health, but WAIT there was no restart option, so i just pressed the power button (im not sure if this was the best thing to do :)) and as soo as i turned it back on i hit the delete button to enter the bios... i was looking through the various option and VOSHHHHHH the power goes off and the screen turns pitch black....i thought i blew something up but i smelled no smoke and i heard/saw no sparks.....CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME??? WHAT IS WRONG?? IS THIS A SIMPLy DEFFECTIVE PSU??? OR COULD THERE BE A WORSE PROBLEM??? i;ll tell you now that my PSU wasn't the best quality because it came with my XION 2 BLACK GAMING CASE 450w psu.

Edited by adorableedgar, 20 February 2008 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
:) can anyone please make a list of possible things that are wrong? please im desparate :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

There's already an excellent list for you to work through that can help you pinpoint the problem. Can you work through this link and let us know how you go?

Cheers

Troy

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

VOSHHHHHH the power goes off and the screen turns pitch black....

when you try to power up now ..do any of the case /cpu fans spin...how about the PSU fan...
if none of these spin its probably your PSU died...

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks to everybody! i THINK the problem is solved the ...it was a bad PSU. I went over to the local Best Buy and got an Antec 500w PSU and plugged it in and every thing SEEMS to be fine i've left the computer running for half an hour (i haven't installed an OS yet so i just leave it in the BIOS computer health page) and everything worked fine for that half hour that i left it running

i have yet two more questions :) lol

1. How would i update/install drivers if i'm using Ubuntu? Also are there any uses for the CD's that come with the motherboard and DVD drive? The motherboard came with a CD that says "vista drivers inside" The DVD drive just came with free software.

2.Is 40-45 degreesC okay for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ processor when idleing? Because my P4 runs at 34 idleing, i think it is because the new processor is faster than my old P4.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ and it idles about the same so i wouldn't worry :)

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i forgot to post another question lol....in the front of my case there are two buttons (Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports)....there is the main LARGE green power button and a small chrone button underneath....does anyone have any idea of the small button could work for? i'm afraid to press it, it could be a self destruct button for all i know lol

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

i have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ and it idles about the same so i wouldn't worry :)

thats good to hear or else i would've had to go back and open it up to add 3rd party thermal paste....i used the retail fan and i thought that the extra thin layer of thermal paste that comes preapplied wouldn't be enough lol

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

does anyone have any idea of the small button could work for

that would be the reset button...

How would i update/install drivers if i'm using Ubuntu

go here to the linux forum..post your question there...

i thought that the extra thin layer of thermal paste that comes preapplied wouldn't be enough

you only need a small amount of thermal paste...your only trying to fill microscopic scratches on the heatsink

Edited by happyrck, 24 February 2008 - 09:38 AM.

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

does anyone have any idea of the small button could work for

that would be the reset button...

How would i update/install drivers if i'm using Ubuntu

go here to the linux forum..post your question there...

i thought that the extra thin layer of thermal paste that comes preapplied wouldn't be enough

you only need a small amount of thermal paste...your only trying to fill microscopic scratches on the heatsink

thanks happyrck, i didn't know that i thought i need a bit more than a pinch lol.....you wouldn't be able to help me with Ubuntu 7.1 would you? i posted a new topic there but people haven't to replied to the topic before mine in ages and so im afraid the same thing will happen to my topic.....the story is as follows: When i got Ubuntu in the mail i popped the CD into my DVD drive and then when i clicked on "install/run Ubuntu" it came with the APIC error on my screen, so what i did was disable APIC from my BIOS screen, then the live CD Ubuntu worked...i was able to use Ubuntu from the CD then i decided to install ( the computer in question is a new build, no other previous OS was installed) so after the partitioner got my drive ready and the installer installs Ubuntu (i used the entire disk no partitions, its only 80gb disk) i get an icon on the desktop that says shows the files on my HDD, so by this point im like "awesome all i have to do now is take the CD out and restart"......so i restart and all i get is a blank screen with a flashing "-" .....a dash is what i should call it? i dont know its just a line that flashes and a blank screen, i tried reinstalling Ubuntu 7.1 and i still get the same problem...do you or anyone know whats wrong? plz help me i would appreciate it very much