Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

weird boot up beep tone

• Please log in to reply

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
im not sure if its something w/ my sound card but like you know when you boot up & press f2 to get into the bios well instead of making the normal BEEP BEEP sound it emits this low (faint type) sound..i know for fact its not the normal beep type sound it use to make..would this be something w/ sound card or mobo?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jmoney3457...

Do you have any USB devices connected to your machine when you boot up? Some machines will emit a low beep tone when a USB device is detected during startup...usually a beep for each device as it's installed.

wannabe1

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Hi jmoney3457...

Do you have any USB devices connected to your machine when you boot up? Some machines will emit a low beep tone when a USB device is detected during startup...usually a beep for each device as it's installed.

wannabe1

hi wannabe good to hear from you again :) yes i do lol..many in fact..wireless mouse, keyboard,webcam etc ..could that be causing those low beep tones instead of the normal beep sound?

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
EDIT: & this sound it emits (like i said in orig post)is NOT the normal BEEP sound its rather like low+dying like its struggling to sound :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The sound of a USB device installing is lower and weak. Not all machines will do this, but I have one set up right now that beeps (more like a boop) when I leave the flash drive or card reader connected when I boot it up. With the devices removed, I get only the single system beep. The keyboard and mouse do not make the sound when left connected.

Try removing a couple devices and see if you get fewer (or no) boops..... :)

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
that was it wannabe :) i unplugged all usb (cept KB of course) & no sound & went IMMEDETIATELY to bios..but whenever i have all my usb plugged in (webcam kb,mouse etc) it takes longer to boot up or go into the bios like its detecting them all is there way to make it so it will bypass detecting all usb devices upon boot up coz i dont wanna hafta unplug them all each time? :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have them connected to individual ports on the machine? If you do, connecting them through a USB hub may be the solution...external hubs are usually detected after Windows loads.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Do you have them connected to individual ports on the machine? If you do, connecting them through a USB hub may be the solution...external hubs are usually detected after Windows loads.

ya individual ports..besides hub..is there anyother way? like changing setting in windows/bios or something?

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
like maybe a setting in the bios to shut off boot up usb detection?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oops....sorry, I didn't see your previous reply.

You can certainly try that...I haven't got the machine that does that here set up at the moment so I can't try it to verify it, but it certainly won't hurt anything to give it a try.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
jmoney3457, there is no BIOS setting on any computer I've ever seen that allows you to turn off BIOS detection during boot. You can "usually" disable legacy USB support but that only effects USB attached keyboard and mouse.

You can pick up a self-powered (no external supply), 4 port USB hub from an online shop like Tiger Direct for under $10 + S/H. I have this one Sabrent USB 2.0 Ultra Slim 4-Ports Self Powered Mini HUB and it works very well.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think he was talking about the USB boot option...which is in almost all but the older BIOS versions. If it doesn't look for boot instructions from USB ports, they shouldn't be detected until Windows loads them. This may eliminate the detection beeps he's hearing...it may not. It is worth a try, though.

I agree that the powered USB hub would be the preferred option and would provide added convenience for using USB devices, as well.