Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Counter Strike Source lag Issues

• Please log in to reply

JumboJoe

JumboJoe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHZ processor with a Nvidia 8800GTS and 2GB ram, I also have good DSL, so why do I lag so bad on counterstrike source? I have a friend with a comp not even close to mine and he doesn't lag nearly as bad as I do, even when we are on the same internet connection. I've updated my video card to the latest drivers, but I still get the lag and "teleporting" issues when I play CSS. I even tried turning down everything in game, but it still lags. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
You might need to adjust your rates. type in the console net_graph 3 and tell me if where it says loss and choke if you see any numbers, maybe add a screen shot by pressing print screen on your keyboard and pasting it in paint. Where is the server that you are connecting to located in regards to where you are? And is your ping high?

Write back and I'll see if I can help.

Edit: Also next to FPS if you look at the number for a while, is it steady or does it drop to a very low number and then return?

Edited by Suerte, 21 February 2008 - 05:06 AM.

JumboJoe

JumboJoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I tried typing in net_graph 3 in the console and nothing happened. my ping in game is generally between 30 and 70 depending on the ping of the server. however I was watching my fps and it would stay steady for a while but then it would go as low as 50 or 60 and as high as 220. how can I change that to be constant?

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Net Graph 3 only displays a setting in-game to show you Choke, Loss etcetera. It looks like its not your ping thats affecting you, you are getting FPS lag. This is related to your graphics card and since yours is definitely good enough to play this game there may be an issue with your graphics card and/or its settings. Does the same thing happen when you play other games as graphically intense as CS:S? Have you ever messed around with the cards settings (AF, AA, Vsync ... ) or overclocked it? To get over 100 you must have vsync off since its limited by your monitors refresh rate...

Anyways I'll try and help, if I can't, someone else here will :)

Mike

JumboJoe

JumboJoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
actually I've played games like Crysis and Bioshock with the game settings turned all the way up, it looks awesome and I don't get that kind of lag. and no i've never touched the card settings except the Vsync, and turning that on just keeps it at a constant 60 fps, which is no good. So how can I change the settings to fix my fps? or how can I overclock my video card?

Edited by JumboJoe, 21 February 2008 - 01:57 PM.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Just a FYI: 60 FPS is about all your eye can see meaning smooth gaming, but if you can go higher what the heck right?

It's weird that it only happens in CS:S, Try limiting your FPS to 100 by typing in the console fps_max 100 and see if it stays constant. By the way, how do you know what your FPS is without net_graph 3 on? It could be that running the game at 220 fps puts a strain on the card and it drops in performance. See if that helps first, bare with me haha :)

Mike

wwZarakiKenpachi

wwZarakiKenpachi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this problem also but only when I play regular CSS. I can play gungame and zombie mods perfectly fine. I also play COD4 and that works even better... I'll try the fps max thing out see if that helps.

dansullivan

dansullivan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi i have consistent lag in every server i join, even if i create my own server. my ping can go as high as 450 and as low as 15 and jumps btwn the two very fast. i have no choke or loss, my fps is generally around ten, and ive tried all of the helpful commands but nothing works. any ideas? this has been going on for 3 days and ive been playing for a year. :)