Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seriously scary hoax?

• Please log in to reply

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I usually use my LAN connection - I only use WLAN when I'm not at home, and I'm at a cousin's house or outside. Though, I have noticed something really wierd popping up in my computer's WLAN lists...

Have a look.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This really freaks me out - as whereever I go it always follows me around. I use it in a shopping mall's connection - this wireless connection is there. I go to my cousin's house, it's there. I go to my new house to use other people's connection's - it's there too. Everywhere I go it follows. Also, I tried using 2 WLAN adapters - same results..

What is wrong with my computer? Is it a virus or is it just something wrong?

~Kelvin

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Kelvin,

If you're seriously worried, I would suggest posting in the malware forum first to get any malware ruled out. I haven't heard of anything that does this, but that doesn't mean anything - it's hard to keep up with what's out there. I did a very quick Google search and didn't find anything, but I'd still say it's worth getting checked out. If you come out clean in malware, then I would say come back here and see if someone in networking can figure out where that's coming from.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I can tell from the MAC Address it's a Dlink. If it wasn't following you around I'd say some one had a sense humor. I'd boot a live Linux like Mint (good wireless support) and see if it's still there.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Kelvin,

If you're seriously worried, I would suggest posting in the malware forum first to get any malware ruled out. I haven't heard of anything that does this, but that doesn't mean anything - it's hard to keep up with what's out there. I did a very quick Google search and didn't find anything, but I'd still say it's worth getting checked out. If you come out clean in malware, then I would say come back here and see if someone in networking can figure out where that's coming from.

Posted.

http://www.geekstogo...ms-t188453.html

I can tell from the MAC Address it's a Dlink. If it wasn't following you around I'd say some one had a sense humor. I'd boot a live Linux like Mint (good wireless support) and see if it's still there.

Anyway, it was following me around. I'm at home now and I can find this wireless connection. Anyway, silverbeard, I have also one thing to let you know of - when I was wanting to establish an Ad-Hoc with my cousin's computer so we could play Counter-Strike: Source together, his laptop found that connection too. =/

~Kelvin