Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Equium A60 (PSA67E) + SP2 installation

• Please log in to reply

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Has anyone got any idea on how to solve this problem? :)

I am fixing a Toshiba Equium A60 (PSA67E) laptop. I originally installed windows xp with SP2 onto the system but I was getting blue screen errors/slow boots and programs did not load correctly, i.e. Internet Explorer crashed every time I opened it.

I reinstalled the O/S with XP and Service Pack 1. Seemed fine until I tried to install service pack 2 or direct x 9c, it wouldn't let me install those using windows updates. I then reinstalled XP + SP1 again and followed the recommended installations via the Toshiba website (there is about 40 Manual installations), then tried Service Pack 2 again. It still won’t let me install it. I have SP2 on CD which I also tried and I also downloaded the online version, still not working.

I am assuming it's a compatibility problem with older drivers, although the ATI mobility 700igp latest driver version is 2004? So I can’t get an update there, windows update did provided a newish (still 2004) update which made no difference what so ever.

Has anyone got any ideas on this????

I could just stick with SP1 but not having Directx9 is a real problem when reinstalling other software which requires it to run correctly.

Heidi

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Your hardware may not support the version of direct X that you wish to install.
Please read this from the Toshiba web site.

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Hfcg
Thanks for the response. I have already run the tool and it doesn’t show any problems. In fact the Toshiba website reckons the A60 is compatible?

Any other ideas?

:)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please look at these two articles :
Here
And here.
For information on issues with SP2

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Many times, slipstreaming SP2 with your existing SSP2 CD to create a new CD will fix these problems. Worth a try and save you the time and effort of having to install SP2 after you install XP.

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this also.

Here is the link to Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia...ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
RESOLVED!

Hi

Thanks for the responses. After emailing ATi and asking about driver updates....and receiving no response I gave up looking for an additional driver for the graphics card. I then thought about the audio driver, which was a realtek AC97. I know they have updates on their website, so I installed the update, ran the service pack 2 again and ......... Hey Presto IT WORKED!!

Anyway thanks for the help. If anyone has the same problem with the Toshiba A60 Laptop, then this could be their solution (Update the audio driver).

:)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
:) Thank you for letting us know the resolution to this issue.